Chapter 26- Bailey

I sat on the porch swing overlooking the driveway, crocheting a blanket.

I had my mother's old shawl around my shoulders while I waited for Blake to come home.

Over, under. Over, under.

My hands moved methodically while I let my thoughts stray over to the male that had left and not come back.

Blake had acted distant when we got back from the zoo, and I grew worried. Something had changed in him, and I did not like it one bit, especially since I had developed a small crush on him while our hours with each other grew longer.

He was quiet, distant, and when he tried to smile at me, it was forced and not as affectionate like it had been before then.

When he left and didn't say where he was going or when he'd be back, I was confused and a little worried. It was so out of character that I didn't know what to do nor say to get him to stay here with us, with me.

The kids had been quiet and well behaved after he left, especially Ryan and Chrissy, who looked guilty about something.

Over, under. Over, under.

"You know, the last time one of you had sat on that porch swing, crocheting a blanket, there was a talk of divorce in the midst."

I looked up from what I was doing, startled, and saw my next door neighbor holding two cups of something steaming.

She smiled when I met her gaze and raised an eyebrow. "Can't I come over?" she asked.

I placed the blanket down and hopped up until I was standing. "Ummm... yes, yes, of course, Ms. Craward," I said, not even hiding the fact that I knew who she was.

I hopped down the steps and jogged to the gate. "Here, let me take one," I said and took the cup from her after I opened the gate and moved out of her way.

Ms. Craward chuckled and walked through the gate. "Thank you, Dear," she said, and I offered her a hesitant smile.

"It's no problem," I replied and shut the gate behind her. I walked by her side with my cup of tea in my hands and stayed silent. I wanted to ask her why she was doing out so late and everything, but I didn't because I had no idea where to start.

Ms. Craward chuckled and reached over to pat my arm. "It seems that you have questions, Dear," she said. "Why don't you ask them?" She glanced at me from the corner of her eye and raised an eyebrow.

I hesitated again and cleared my throat. "Well..." I began but trailed off. I cleared my throat again and licked my lips.

"Hmph," Ms. Craward tsked. She scowled but didn't say a word while she sat down on the porch swing, and I sat down beside her. "Are you wondering why I am here, Dear?" she asked, and I looked down and didn't say a word.

Hesitantly, I nodded and stayed silent. I rubbed the edge of the cup and stared at it instead of her. I felt shy for some reason and nervous as if I was straying from the path that I had been put on to keep me safe.

Ms. Craward sighed and patted my arm. "It's safe for you to talk to me, Dear," she said. "Your parents knew that you were going to need someone to talk to if you ever decided to move back here."

I slowly nodded and pursed my lips. "Did they know that they were going to get killed?" I asked and looked at this woman, who had seen many years more than me.

Ms. Craward shrugged. "That is not up to me to say," she said and drank some of what was in the cup. "I am sure that they did know, but they haven't told me anything."