Chapter 17- Bailey

I walked into the place where my lawyer was at an hour later, fiddling my keys as I walked to the front desk. I knew that my lawyer, James Dawson, wouldn't like it if I was dressed like this and knew that I needed to change before I did see him.

The receptionist didn't look up when I cleared my throat, not even giving me the time of day. She was too busy on her phone, playing a game, and I became annoyed. She paused in her game when I cleared my throat again and pursed her lips as she looked me up and down. "Yes, ma'am?" she asked, focusing her gaze on my face. "May I... help you?"

"Yes, what is the code for the bathroom?" I asked, keeping the smile on my face. "I have a meeting with Mr. Dawson in thirty minutes, but I have to get changed out of my school clothes."

The lady looked me up and down and pursed her lips in disgust. Again, she looked at me, and I could tell that she had no idea who I was. "Mr. Dawson is out of the office," she said, lying straight through her teeth. "Shall I have him call you back when he is in?"

"I just want the code to the bathroom, please," I said through gritted teeth. "And I already know that Mr. Dawson is in. He had texted me before I came in to let me know that he could meet me."

"I'm sorry, Ma'am, but he doesn't text people. He normally calls them."

I glanced behind me when I heard a snort and spotted a security guard sitting there reading a newspaper. I watched as he started to tap out a code on the paper, still reading it and pretending not to know me, but I knew him, and he knew me. "Are you sure that you won't let me use the restroom?" I asked, turning to look at the female.

"No, and if you keep asking for him, then I will have him kick you out." She pointed to the security guard, and I held back an eye roll. She really had no idea who I was.

"Now, now, Ms. Carson, I do not want to get into this," he said. "You should let her use the restrooms. I am sure that she ain't going to do anything illegal."

"I'm sorry, but the bathrooms are closed for maintenance. Please come back... never."

I bit back a snort. "Ya, whatever," I said and started to walk towards the bathroom, ignoring her as she called the security guard and me to get me. I tapped the code to the bathroom into the keypad and walked in, closing the door behind me.

There was a knock on the door as I kicked off my shoes and took off my socks before pulling off my pants. "I'm supposed to arrest you when you come out," the security guard, Jeremiah George, said. "But, I'm not going to."

"Good, because I think Mr. Dawson would have your hind if you did," I replied, and he snickered. "How are the kids?" I took off my glasses and placed them in their container before taking off my hoodie and t-shirt.

"Good. Yours?"

"They're good," I replied, unzipping the outfit that I had picked out for the meeting with him. "They're ok with their mother being in another rehab in another state, but they miss her a lot."

"At least they have a stable house with you, Miss Pierce," he said, calling me by my mother's maiden name.

"I'm going to be hopefully moving," I replied, pulling on my tights. I groaned when I made it halfway, and they started to tear. "Stupid tights," I groaned, and he laughed as I pulled them off. "Shut up."

"Where are you planning on moving?" he asked.

"Hopefully, to the big house. It has a gate and cameras, so... I should be safe."

"You sure that you want to do that?" he asked. "I mean, they could know where you live."

I shrugged my shoulder. "Don't know," I replied honestly. "But I'd like the space, and I know that the kids would love to have their own rooms." I tossed the tights to the corner and pulled out my skirt, and placed it on as well as my blouse and jacket.