C H A P T E R 3 1

S T E A M flew from between the grains of rice as the freshly filled dish was brought out into the dining room

S T E A M flew from between the grains of rice as the freshly filled dish was brought out into the dining room. Everybody sat around the table, eagerly awaiting the food to be served. Hoot sat next to Mustafa, fiddling with her shawl, worried that he might not like what she had made.

The brown rice was scooped into white porcelain plates. The aroma becoming intense as it moved closer. The raita and salad were filled into everyones plates as the feast began.

At first, Hoor found it weird that Munazza had told her to make food for herself and her husband only. And yet now everyone was eating what she had prepared. Which was in no way enough for them all to have. The portion Hoor prepared was enough for two or maximum three people.

Within a blink of an eye, the glass dish that was filled to the brim was empty. With a few grain of rice sticking to the sides.
"Jao Hoor bhar kar lao," Munazza spoke with arrogance.
Hoor stared at her with bewilderment. She had not even put some in her plate before everyone else had devoured it. She looked to her right, Mustafa too had an empty plate.
"Par aunty mein nai tou 2 logon keh hisab sai banaya tha," she explained calmly.
"Tou tumhein ziada banana chahiye tha!" Rumaisa stepped in.
"Par-"
"Par war kuch nahi! Jab kuch khanay ko nahi banaya tou apnay shohar keh liye kuch le kar aao! Dekha nahi bechara bhuka betha hai!" Munazza gave her the stink eye.
As if challenging her to speak against her.
"Koi zaroorat nahi cachi. Mein intezaam kar lun ga. Hoor kamray mein chalo!" He ordered his bride of two days.

His aunt had lost her mind if she thought he did not see through her schemes. He could easily make out what was going on inside her head. He may have been silent and tolerated the way they behaved with him. But in no way would he ever let them treat his wife, the owner of this home, like a mulazim. It did not matter to him that they were his father's brother's family. Their facade of loving him and show of power that they did not have, had gone on for too long.

"Hoor mujhe batao keh asal baat kia hai," Mustafa gently asked.
"W-woh aap ki chachi nai kaha tha keh...." and so she narrated the entire incident to him.
Not hiding the smallest of things. Hoor knew transparency in relationships was important so she would not be a fool to hide things from her husband.
"Aap ghabraye nahi. Hum kuch bahir sai mangwa lete hai," he smiled at her.
Before sending their driver to get some barbecue for the two of them.

"Aap kapray badal lein," Hoor spoke in a tone that was slightly above a whisper.
"Hmm aap Riz- Mehmood ko bula dein please," Mustafa smiled at her, after which he wheeled himself into the large bathroom.
Mustafa felt ashamed whenever the nurse would come to help him out. It was even more embarrassing that his wife had to see him be handled by another grownup adult. It did not do wonders for his self esteem. And it was already quite crippled. He wanted to see the light at the end of the tunnel that everyone talked about. But he just could not see it.