C H A P T E R 0 9 | T R A N S L A T E D |

R U S H I N G to get ready before the guests arrived, Hoor had made a mess of her bedroom

R U S H I N G to get ready before the guests arrived, Hoor had made a mess of her bedroom. The worn out chest of drawers had been pulled open and clothes off all shades were strewn about carelessly. Hoor sighed to herself every few minutes. Feeling defeated at the fact that she had not been able to select an outfit for the night. She still needed to set the table for dinner and iron her outfit of the night. Which would of course happen after she had decided on something. At times she seriously felt that jinns [ghosts] were around her, anytime she wanted something, it would disappear.

"Hoor beta ab aajao neechay!"
[Hoor come downstairs]
Her ammi shouted.
"Ammi abhi tak kapray hi nahi badlay,"
[Mama I haven't changed my clothes yet]
Hoor answered sheepishly, standing on the edge of the stairs.
"Acha chalo, jaldi sai ajao phir".
[Oh okay then come fast]
Her precious mother laughed at her behaviour before urging her to change her outfit as fast as she could.

Finally she decided on a pale blue printed shirt, which had white embroidered flowers on it as well as a white lace at the ends of the sleeves which she had added herself to give it a bit of style. It had a white cotton, fitted trouser with it as well as a white chiffon dupatta. Rubbing a light lipstick of pink colour that she had stolen from her mother's vanity, Hoor began to make her hair.

 Rubbing a light lipstick of pink colour that she had stolen from her mother's vanity, Hoor began to make her hair

Hoor was brushing the thick wavy mess on her head when she heard it. The screeching of the metal door and her parents greeting a man who had a thick voice.
"Hoor neechay aao,"
[Hoor come down]
Ali knocked on her bedroom door, continuing "mehman aa gai hain".
[The guests are here]
Not even waiting for a reply he ran downstairs to see if his help was needed or not.
"Ji bhai aarahi hun,"
[Coming brother]
she replied from behind the door. Pulling her hair into an updo, using a simple clip to hold it in place.

Hoor ran downstairs, skipping a step or two on her way to the little courtyard. She on arrival saw the emptiness of the daybed, which indicated that they were all probably sitting inside her parents or brother's bedroom. This gave her the perfect chance to set up the dining table without any confrontation from the guests. As the wind continued to blow, Hoor busied herself with taking out the dishes, smiling at the occasional laughter that erupted from the bedroom causing her to smile. Her parents worked very hard and deserved much more than they had.