C H A P T E R 4 4

S I L E N C E hovered over the streets

S I L E N C E hovered over the streets. The once constant buzzing, died down. The first lock down had commenced. And with itself, it had killed the life of the people of Lahore. All food outlets were shut down for in-resturant dining. Take aways and Food Panda becoming everyone's best friend. People locked themselves inside, and for the first time in forever, were despising the arrival of guests.

Street vendors began to profit off of the mask and hand sanitiser market. Knowing that it was now a necessity for everyone. Everyday, the news reported hundreds of new cases. New deaths and COVID-19 camps being built in cities. Everyone was scared. And everyone was struggling.

Work from home had become the norm. With doctors advising that to be the best case scenario. And that is what Mustafa's company had done too. Telling its workers to stay within the four walls of their homes. And to only leave in the case of an extreme emergency. The janitors, who now had no office to clean, were still payed full time. Keeping in mind that they needed this employment.

But not everyone was so lucky. Mustafa's company was an old one. And had its roots deeply dug into the soil. It was not so easy to uproot. The fact that they had recently shifted to e-commerce meant that they were still making money. In a time when all turned to online shopping.

However, there were many like Rizwan. Who had just joined new jobs. And when the pandemic hit, and the company faced losses, the newest were the first ones asked to leave. Three months after his employment, Rizwan was asked to resign. To cushion the unemployment, he had been given an advance payment of the next four months.

But that was the start of the problem. His wife, Rumaisa, had urged him to help her parents out. Eventhough she knew that her husband was not as financially strong as he used to be. Unfortunately, Rizwan had no choice but to give in.

To add to that, Rumaisa kept on splurging money like tap water. Not caring the least about her husband's constant advising to be careful.

April 8th, was a bright and sunny morning. The sun shining bright. The birds chirping and the temperatures well enough to not cause anyone to sweat. But the citizens of Pakistan, could not enjoy the weather. The lock down was extended to last until the first week of May now. And the people began to feel the strain on their finances.

"Rizwan bijli ka bill dekha hai?" Rehman passed him the paper.
The father-son duo was sitting, sipping on their morning tea when Rehman sahab brought up the topic. Usually, Rehman paid the bills after Rizwan gave him the money. This month, Rehman was given none.
"Dein idhr abbu," he grabbed it from his hands.
His eyes ran across the page. The bill was a lot more than usual. But it could be because now they had another person in the household.
"Abu pehlay sai thora sa ziada hai. Par ab eik banda bhi tou ziada hai. Ap pay kar dein," Rizwan brushed off.
He still did not understand the point his father wanted him to understand.
"Beta, ap nai iss mahinay paise nahi diye mujhe". His statement left Rizwan baffled.
"Kia matlab abu? Mein nai tou Rumaisa ko de diye thay," he was shocked.

Rehman changed the conversation, claiming he must have forgotten then. It must be in his cupboard. Relaxing Rizwan. However, Rehman never got the money. But he also did not want his son to question his wife because of him. Perhaps she needed them more.

Rehman stepped inside his bedroom. Heavy hearted. He opened his safe. Grabbing the money that he saved to buy himself a new wristwatch. All his life, Rehman had a fondness for wristwatches. But he could never afford them. First they were very poor. Then his main motive had been to raise Rizwan. Now that his son made enough and gave him a monthly allowance he had started to save.
Rehman sighed. Knowing all of his savings would be used to pay for the homes bills. But it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.

K A M A L M A N S I O N, DHA, LHR
●●●●¤¤●●●●

Hoor woke up to find Mustafa still in bed. Now that he was working from home, his work day started a bit late. However, today he had an appointment with his physiotherapist.

"Mustafa?" Hoor shook him by the shoulder.
"Hmm". He grumbled.
Hoor continued to wake him up. Until finally, his eye lids lifted, removing the curtain that covered his heavenly, brown eyes.
"Ji Hoor, kuch chahiye?" He raised an eyebrow.
"Nahi. Par aj tou apnay doctor keh paas jana tha na?" She inquired.
"Han par woh Corona ki wajah sai cancel ho gai hai. Isiliye ab sai ghar par khudi karni paray gi," he told her about the change of plans.
Hoor nodded. Getting out of bed and heading into the shower.

The past month, Hoor had been attending classes. Thankfully, online. Although it ashamed her to be so old and not know the basics, she was proud of the progress. Anytime she had any homework, Mustafa helped her out with it. Teaching her patiently. Her class teacher and peers were all kind with her. Encouraging her to do better. She loved it when the children called her baaji. And looked at her with eyes full of respect.

Hoor had begun to feel confident about herself. She was finally going to be able to speak fluent english. And she could soon make Mustafa proud. Not that she needed to. Her husband constantly reminded her that it was for herself that she was getting an education. To him, she was already a reason of pride. She was kind and thoughtful and to him, those were more important than any amount of english that she could speak.

Hoor took a rapid shower, getting dressed in a plain white chicken shirt and trousers. Pairing it with a red duppata. Hoor let her hair down, and walked out of the bedroom. Calling the helper in to help Mustafa get dressed.

She stepped inside the kitchen. Being instantly greeted with the smells of desi ghee. Causing her empty stomach to rumble.
"Hoor baaji  aj khanay mein kia banana hai?" The chef asked.
She was a woman in her mid forties. And made food that one would never want to stop eating.
"Abhi tou subah huwi hai baad mein dekhtay-" Hoor was cut off by the chef, Ambreen's laughter.
Over the time, both of them had developed a sisterly bond. So it was not odd for Ambreen to laugh at Hoor's naivety.
"Hoor baaji, 12 bajane walay hain," Ambreen controlled her laughter.

Hoor was shocked. It was the first time that she had slept in so late. She blamed it on Mustafa. He had kept her up all night. Engrossed in deep conversation about life. They had talked about Hoor's faith in Allah. And Mustafa's lack thereof. Hoor had made a vow to Mustafa, that she would bring him Closer to the Creator. Help him overcome that weakness of his just like he helped her overcome hers.

●●●●¤¤●●●●