C H A P T E R 4 9

S U N L I G H T poured onto the ground like molten lava

S U N L I G H T poured onto the ground like molten lava. The first rays of it, covering the streets. The soulful sounds of the Fajar Adhan began ringing around. Signifying the people that the time for the last sheri of the year had run out. The winds and remnant stars in the sky began to dull. As if feeling sad to part with a month that brought nothing but blessings and happiness towards the world.

This particular year, Ramadan had been more tougher than usual. Before the world was in a pandemic, in a state of disarray, each year, during this blessed Islamic month, people would visit each others places, holding iftar for their loved ones. Sharing the same table, spreading love.

It had all changed. No one was going anywhere. Contact with relatives was restricted to phone calls. With an emptiness of hearts realising that the month was leaving them, alone. Many had been lucky. With every thing shut down, they had gotten the perfect amount of time to learn more about the religion of peace. To build a stronger connection with Allah.

Now as the call to prayer rang through the still city of Lahore, men began to leave their houses. Masks covered their faces as they went to pray in congregation. Although, their religion had freed them of that duty in times like these, their love for praying in mosque was so great, that the threat of a virus did not stop them.

"Mustafa jaldi sai paani pee lain. Adhan khatam honay wali hai. Phir namaz parhnay bhi tou jana hai ap nai!" Hoor urged Mustafa to speed up.
"Acha meri Hoor, ja raha hun," he smiled.
Usually he would have kissed her before parting ways, but it was prohibited in the state of fasting. So he left with a simple wave.

Hoor chuckled at his antics. Clearing the table that now held the empty dishes. She sighed, remembering the events of the past few days. Mustafa had been having therapy sessions from home. But he still had a male nurse come in and help him shower. Unfortunately, last week the nurse tested positive for Corona. Thankfully, both her and Mustafa tested negative.

Since the nurse could no longer visit, it meant that someone else had to take the duty. Mustafa wanted their resident driver to do it. Who would have had no problem. He was stopped by Hoor. She told him that as his wife, she wanted to help him with showers. Only needing help in taking him on and off his wheelchair.

Mustafa had cried that night. When his wife had put forward that statement. His heart full of love for her. There was a time that he was rejected by his own family. Told that no one would live with him happily. And here was his wife, Hoor. A literal Hoor. Allah had really sent him one. She was ready to be his support. And he would always be thankful for that.

Hoor was crying in prayer, asking for her Lord's forgiveness when Mustafa entered.
"Allah tala, maaf kar dein mujhe. Ghalti ho gai. Ap par bharosa rakhna chahiye tha mujhe. Pata nahi kyun mein bhul gai thi keh ap kisi ko akela nahi chortay. Allah tala, ap na mujhe maaf kar dena theek hai na? Mein ainda puri koshish karun gi keh ainda nashukri na karun," taking a deep breath, she continued,
"Allah tala meray shohar na bohat achay hain. Ap unko theek kar saktay hain na. Agar unki behtari iss maazori mein hai tou bhi theek hai. Allah tala ap na meray Mustafa ko saari zindagi khush rakha aur har kadam par kamyiabi dena. Ameen," her words silenced.

Hoor wiped her tears. Feeling all kinds of feelings. She had not heard Mustafa enter. He came and stopped next to her. Raising his own hands in prayer.
"Allah tala, ap nai na mujhe bohat kuch dia hai. Jis ka jitna shukar karun kam hai. Mein bohat arse keh liye behak gaya tha. Mujhe uss keh liye maafi dena. Aur meri iss naik biwi jis nai mujhe wapis ap ka rasta dikhaya hai, koh hamesha khush rakhna! Ameen". His deep baritone voice filled the silence of the room.

Tears once again gripped Hoor. She had really been blessed. Her heart felt full of love and emotions. It was as if, her feelings of love for him weighed her down. Mustafa raised his hands. Cupping her face in his palm and wiping away her tears with the pads of his thumb. The touch so soft and effortless, as if it was barely there.

"Meri Hoor, chalein ab so jain. Subah phir ap nai bohat kuch karna hai. Hmm?" He smiled at her.
Hoor nodded. Now that lock-down restrictions had been lifted to let people celebrate Eid with their loved ones, Hoor and Alia had planned to do some last minute shopping. They planned to do that tomorrow afternoon.

As the sun finally touched the sky at the highest point, Alia came over to pick Hoor. Mustafa, was a bit sad at this parting. However, Alia joked that she was leaving him his first wife, Raees. Hoor had laughed at that. The two men were clearly very close and had either been a woman, they would have surely married.

The car stopped infront of Liberty market. The hot open air touched their cool skin. Making Hoor sigh. There was a time she was used to all this. But now, it seemed as if her body could barely withstand the heat. She wiped her forehead, turning to Alia.

"Ma pehlay peco walay keh pass chaltay hain," she spoke.
Her hands holding the bag with her duppata tightly.
"Han aisa hi kartay hain. Mujhe bhi eik shirt ki overlock karwani hai," Alia gestured for Hoor to move forward.

Inside the infamous shopping street, it was a sight never seen before. Everyone was covered with masks. Leaving only their eyes out. As if a mystery to identify who was who.

"Bhai yeh duppata par lace lagwani hai,"  Hoor handed him the large organza cloth, with a multi coloured lace.
"Kitni lagwai?" She inquired.
She was a pure Pakistani  she would not let herself be duped with outrageous prices.
"350 baaji," the man spoke.
He had seen the get up of Hoor and Alia. To him, these were ladies of a wealthy home who could afford to pay the price.
"350? Bhai sab 150 letay hain," Hoor shrieked from behind her mask.
"Baaji roza hai humara. Halal kamanay bethay hain," he tried to use the religion card to make her emotional.
"Chalein bas phir 250 theek hai," her words final.
The man had no choice but to agree.

Alia and Hoor wandered. Looking at the beautiful trinkets that were on display. Hoor let her hands caress the various jhumkas on display. Alia was looking for some jewelry for herself, and Hoor thought it would be best to get herself something too.

"Ma yeh kaise hain?" Hoor lifted up an earring.
It was a large disc shape earring, with a flower in the centre. The combination of gold and white with hints of red seemed to attract the eye from afar.
"Bohat khoobsurat. Le lo," Alia urged.
Hoor agreed instantaneously. It was a piece that could not be left. Also it would look wonderful with her eid dress.

The earring was purchased after a huge fight over the price. The two had their henna done and left the market with only an hour till Maghrib.

●●●●¤¤●●●●

Ladies listen. Next Tuesday, my Alevels exams begin. They end on 20th May. I will only be posting a new book after 25th May. So this is the last double update. Kal sai single update okay?!

I might post the aesthetics of my latest book on Friday. Will post first chapter on 20th May though.

Also go read TOGETHER FOREVER. It is my latest work. Its going to be a short story, but I just put up the first chapter and marked it as complete. New chapters after 25th May.