16. The ElvenKing

The elves lead us through the forest, the more we'd walk, the less gloomy the place began to look. The dark and scary looking trees started to clear out as we were met with beautiful trees full of autumn leaves.

Moments later, I could see a long stone bridge ahead of us in the midst of the forest, built above a flowing river. The bridge led us on until two large, heavy doors were in our view.

My hands kept fiddling with the rope that tied our hands together, I worriedly fixed my eyes at the inside of the large hall. Ever since Prince Legolas said the King sure would like to speak to me, I've been anxious this whole time. Why would he want to talk to me? Why am I important? This quest isn't even about me.

The elves marched us into a large hall and along raised wooden walkways that were carved to look like huge roots that led deep into the hill. I didn't even dare to look down as I heard the sound of water flowing at the bottom of it.

We kept on walking until we reached another level of the palace. About two Elven guards appeared and grabbed me from either side of my arms. I saw no point in resisting, unlike Thorin who they had also gotten a hold of.
From the corner of my eye, Fili was already trying to fight the ropes tied around his hands when he saw they were taking me away. I locked eyes with him, giving him one last reassuring look before they led Thorin and I to what looked like the Throne room of King Thranduil.

And there he was. Sat majestically upon a wooden throne, wearing a crown to which had leaves and berries in them. His long, golden hair flowed as he stood up and slowly walked over to Thorin, who was stood right in front of the king's view. I, on the other hand, stood on the left, not wanting to interfere with whatever discussion they were about to have. The look in Thorin's eyes had me guessing this wasn't going to end well.

Thranduil first had his back turned to Thorin before speaking.

"Some may imagine a noble quest is at hand. The quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon. I myself suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary, or something of that ilk." Thranduil began as he walked in front of the dwarf and looking closely at him.

"You have found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule. The King's jewel. The Arkenstone. It is precious to you beyond measure. I understand that. There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight. I offer you my help." He said as he slightly bowed his head. My first thought was that there was no way Thorin would accept his offer. If he didn't help when the dragon first attacked Erebor, what makes him think he will just accept it? Have we not forgotten about Thorin's hatred for the elves?

"I am listening." Said Thorin.

"I will let you go, if you but return what is mine."

Thorin turned around and began to slowly walk away.
"A favor for a favor." He said.

"You have my word. One King to another."

Thorin stopped walking, still facing away from Thranduil.

"I would not trust Thranduil, the great king, to honor his word should the end of all days be upon us!"

I saw this coming. Agreeing to Thranduil's offer would be the last thing Thorin would ever do. Although in this case, it's the best thing to do. I see no other way we could possibly get out of here. This deal seemed to be our only hope.

Thorin spun around and began shouting at the King angrily. "You lack all honor! I've seen how you treat your friends! We came to you once, starving, homeless, seeking your help, but you turned your back. You turned away from the suffering of my people and the inferno that destroyed us! Imrid amrad ursul!"

Thranduil quickly reacted and put his face right in front of Thorin's.

"Do not speak to me of dragon fire. I know it's wrath and ruin. I have faced the great serpents of the north."

As Thranduil spoke, his face contorted, and I saw it covered with what appeared to be burns and scars from his past encounters with dragons. His left eye was also white and unseeing. He then draws away, and his face returns to normal.

"I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon, but he would not listen."

He turned and walks up the steps to his throne.

"You are just like him."

Thranduil motions with his hand and the guards grab Thorin and haul him towards the dungeons.

"Stay here if you will and rot. A hundred years is a mere blink in the life of an elf. I am patient. I can wait."

For a moment, I thought about trying to stop them from taking Thorin away but it wasn't any use. He'll just be more quick to put me in a cell along with the others.

I sighed as I looked down at the ground.

"Why is it that you sigh? What troubles you?" Thranduil asked. I lift my head up to see the king sat on his throne.

"Well, the fact that we aren't getting out of this place any time soon. And that you are going to lock me in a cell-" I said but Thranduil quickly interrupted.

"I didn't say anything about locking you up in a cell, my dear." He spoke with a hint of kindness in his voice.

My eyebrows knitted in confusion. "What do you mean? If you locked up my friends, I was sure enough you were locking me too."

"Your friends are dwarves. You, are not. If I'm not mistaken, you are an elf."

"Half elf, actually." I confirmed.

"Still, you have Elven blood. I remember your mother, Eleanor. She was a respectable woman. And because of her, I respect you."

"You...you knew my mother? How? And how do you know my name?" I asked, slightly taken aback.

"It doesn't matter. What really matters is why you are helping theses dwarves on this quest to take back the Lonely Mountain? Have you not forgotten how poorly they treated you? The cruel words they spat at you? They wouldn't even give you a home because of your mixed blood. But here, it's different. My kin would never do such things. You can stay here if you wish."

Anger began to build inside without me even realizing it. How dare he say such words when he doesn't even know half of it.

"What you are saying is that you want me to drop everything and stay here in Mirkwood? You're insane if you think that because I, for one, actually do care about dwarves! Unlike you! And I would help them if it's the last thing I do. You left them without anything! What kind of a King does that?" I spat at him as he slowly rose from his spot on the throne.

"I had to do what was best for my kin. I wasn't going to risk their lives because of the dragon. That same dragon I warned Oakenshield's grandfather of!"

"If your people were in the same position, the dwarves wouldn't hesitate to help! That's how loyal they are. They would do whatever it takes. You didn't help at all. You are selfish." I said those last words slowly, hoping he could process them in his arrogant mind.

"I will not stand here and listen to this nonsense." With the motion of his hand, the guards grabbed me from either side.

"But just remember this, Eleanor Rilos. Don't say I didn't warn you when all goes terrible as soon as you reach that mountain. And how Thorin will acquire Dragon Sickness. It will happen as sure as the sun rises every day."

And with that, the guards took me to the dungeon and locked me in a random cell.

---------------------------
Aaaaand sorry for the kinda boring chapter but it will get better, I promiseee. Thank you so much for reading it tho!(:😌