35. One Last Time

*Fili's POV*

I felt a terrible weight on my shoulders as I laid my eyes on the sight in front. It was as if a giant boulder was laid upon me and I couldn't straighten up or catch my breath entirely. I should have been crying, but I was too numb to even think about crying. I took quiet, steady steps down the stairs, as if the ground could crumble beneath me. Not that it even mattered either ways, that effect was taken upon my world already as everything seemed to shatter around me.

Falling down to my knees, I took in the appearance of my younger brother. He was sprawled on the floor, so was his messy mop of black hair. There was a bloody hole in his chest where someone had pierced him. His face was peaceful. His eyes had no life in them. His hands were cold as death. A single tear rolled down my cheek. There was an enormous hole in my heart and I knew nothing would ever be the same. I tried to speak, many times I tried to say anything at all, but the lump in my throat was in the way.

This was my fault, I thought to myself.

I swore to protect him with my life, and I failed.

He didn't deserve this.

I would give anything to be in his place.

Anything.

If we could only turn back time, I could have saved him.

"This is my fault." I choked out.

"This is not your fault. Do not blame yourself for something you had no control over." Eleanor said, her voice heavy with grief.

*Eleanor's POV*

An air of melancholy surrounded us.
Seeing Fili so grief-stricken and inconsolable felt like my heart had been destroyed even more that it already was.

I wish I could do something. I wish I could console Fili like the many times he did for me. But I just could not find the words nor the strength to do so. This was something extremely different like the times before. I felt that I have to give him some time to himself. I sat on one of the steps on the stairs and mourned silently over the loss of my friend.

But then a sudden sense of anger burned through me. I clenched my fists as my lips curled with disgust and hatred. I knew who were responsible for this. The Orc scum. My blood boiled as the thought of Azog and his army of filth were responsible for the death of Kili. Azog already tried to take Fili away and I decided he's not getting away with it. Either I kill Azog or I die trying.

Slowly rising to my feet, I turn on my heels and walk back up the stairs. But I was shortly stopped.
"Where are you going?" Fili asked, his voice a lifeless monotone.

Turning back around, I looked at his fallen features. His eyes held a wounded look that made my heart ache horribly. "I uh....have some business to take care of."

"What kind of business?"

I know he wasn't going to like the sound of what I was about to say but I was going to do it anyway. He could get angry and try to stop me but that isn't going to work. I know what I have to do.

"I am going to avenge the death of your brother. By taking out the Pale Orc."

He slowly stood on his feet, his back facing me. "No."
Fili was now facing me, his eyes bloodshot from crying. "I am not allowing you to do that."

"I wasn't asking for your permission." I stated. Believe me when I say I am dreading to say any of this but it's what I think is right.

"I am not letting you go out there to get yourself killed! I would never forgive myself." He replied sharply.

"Who said anything about me getting killed?" I questioned.

"You know how powerful of an Orc Azog is. It's too much of a risk."

"You don't understand, do you? This Orc has taken everything away from me! My mother! My father! Your own brother who was my friend! He has threatened to kill me various of times! I watched my mother die in front of my eyes and I couldn't do anything about it!" I screamed in exasperation.

"Tell me, Eleanor, does it look like I want you to do this? Do you think they would want you to risk your own life for an Orc who could take you down in a heartbeat?"

"Why not? After all, I risked my life for you. Many times, I did." I turned around and began walking up the stairs, only to have Fili grasp my arm.

"Please stay. I have lost my brother, I don't want to lose you too."
I looked into his pleading eyes. As much as I was afraid in the inside, I knew I had to go. Mahal, I hope Fili forgives me for this.

I pulled my arm out of his hold and started walking up the stairs once again.

"Fine, if you are going then I'm going with you."

I spun back around and put my hand on his chest, not allowing him to go any further. I shook my head repeatedly.
"Absolutely not. He almost killed you today, Fili. You know he wants you dead more than he wants me. I am going by myself and that's final."

"You're not getting rid of me so easily." He said.

"Fili, listen. Please. I have to do this by myself. I'm not doing this for me. I'm doing it for those who have fallen because of the Orc. If you really love me, you'll let me go." He stared into my emerald eyes for a while. His face was etched with hopelessness. But to my surprise, he nodded in acceptance. He lifted my chin, inching his face towards mine, to the point that our noses almost were touching. I could feel the warmth of his breath as he gently crashed his lips against mine.

Pulling back seconds later, he searched my face one last time, probably looking for any sign of uncertainty. He carefully knocked our foreheads together. "Come back to me, alright?"

I pulled back and nodded to him before turning around. "I will." I whispered.

Like I said before, Orcs took everything from me. And I plan to take out the bastard who started this all. Once and for all.

-------------------------------------
Sorry this chapter was more of a filler and still a bit boringgg :( but yeah the next one will be more exciting!!!! I think.😳