14. Mirkwood

Not only did Beorn give us food and shelter, but he had given us ponies to help us journey across the land much quicker. I was very grateful for that and I thanked him various of times. I already had much time running the day before and I did not want to go through that again. It was awful. Unfortunately, he didn't have enough ponies so I had to share one with Fili. I didn't mind though.
I walked over to Fili who was already sat on the pony, holding onto its reins. He held out his hand to which I gladly took, pulling myself on. I placed my hands around his waist after I safely sat on the back.

"Go now, while you have the light, the hunters are not far behind." Beorn said as we began to ride away.

-------------------------------
We continued the journey in silence. I shifted on the pony a bit and laid my head on Fili's back whilst closing my eyes. To say that I am worried would be an understatement. Mirkwood is a foul place. Who knows of the dangers that lurks within that forest. I have never ventured in Mirkwood, nor have I ever planned on it. Elrond had advised me to not go near that place. But he still told me what to do if I ever did.
"Be careful on those roads. You have Elven blood, your senses are strong, don't let them get to you. Only venture there in great need."

I kept those words in my mind. I knew what I had to do. I figured it wouldn't be easy but I must try.

"Is everything alright back there?" Fili asked me in a low voice that only the both of us could hear.

"Yes I'm fine, thank you." I assured him.

"You seem to be holding on tighter than you were before." He said, I couldn't quite make out the tone he said it in.

"Well maybe I meant to hold tighter. Does it bother you?" I said with a playful smile. He chuckled whilst grabbing a hold of one of my hands that were around his waist and intertwining it with his own.

"Hey is that what I think it is?" I asked as I looked over his shoulder.

"The Lonely Mountain, yes. We're getting closer. Although we still have a long way to go." He answered.

"I bet the halls of Erebor are beautiful, don't you think?"

"Indeed. To gaze upon its halls is all my brother and I ever wanted. Even when we were children." Fili added whilst we all continued riding on our pony.

The forest was finally in our view. Our ponies came to a stop and I was the first to get off and run to the entrance of the dark forest. Immediately, I had received a bad vibe from it. I looked fixedly at it, examining it with my eyes. The trees looked monstrous, branches stuck out, pointing in every direction, looking like sharp spears. Leaves were scattered across the ground, covered in dirt. I swore it felt like someone or, something was watching me from the darkness in the forest.

Gandalf walked near me, only to stop at the entrance. He looked at the company who were getting off their ponies.
"Set the ponies free, let them return to their master."

"This forest feels..." Bilbo begins as a sharp pain came from my head. I hissed as I laid a hand on it.
"Sick." I finished his sentence.

"Are you alright, Eleanor?" He asked me.
"Everything is fine, I'm simply getting a bad feeling about this." I assured him.

"Is there no way around?" Inquired Bilbo, sounding frightened.
"Not unless we go two-hundred miles north or twice that distance." Gandalf answers as he walks into the forest but not too far in.

The atmosphere near the tree felt heavy and very unwelcoming. As much as I did not want to journey through this sick forest, I knew it was our only choice if we wanted to get to the mountain on time. It would take longer going around and we all know we don't have time to waste. If I could only control my Elven senses, I would be fine. To conceal them would be the hard part. Besides, how bad could it really be in there?