11. The Defiler

My eyes widen as I heard the sound of the wargs coming closer to us as I grabbed hold of Bilbo and pulled him alongside me as we ran down the hill dodging the rocks and trees.

I had almost started to question how they found us but then it clicked that the Goblin King sent word to the Pale Orc that Thorin and I were here. That meant that he was here chasing our tails. I tried looking back but I couldn't considering how fast they were coming and how fast we were running as well.

This is bad, I thought to myself as we reached a dead end. By this time, the wargs were coming at an alarming speed and what were we to do now? We couldn't go back, we can't move forward. The only way is up.

"Quickly, up the trees! All of you!" Gandalf shouted.

I looked to Bilbo and saw he was struggling to get up the tree. I picked him up and hoisted the hobbit up the tree. "Keep going, Bilbo!" I tell him.

My eyes drifted to Fili as I saw him making his way down the tree, heading to the branch closest to me as fast as he could.

"Grab my hand!" He shouted, extending his hand as I reached out and easily grabbed it as he helped me get up the tree. We both continued climbing getting to the highest branch we could've reached.

"They're coming!" Thorin yelled. At this moment, the vicious wargs began circling the trees we were on as if they were ready to pounce at us at any minute.

My eyes widened as I saw the devil himself. The beast that has haunted me in my nightmares ever since I first saw him. I couldn't believe my eyes. I felt my whole body go stiff as my breathing quickened and my heart began to rapidly beat. I felt as if I could fall off the branch so I held on to Fili to steady myself.

"Do you smell it? The scent of fear?" His voice sent shivers through my spine as I tried to calm myself down but nothing seemed to be working.

"I remember your father reeked of it, Thorin, son of Thrain."

"It cannot be." Thorin whispered, in shock at the Defiler still being alive.

"Your parents also reeked of it, Night Rider. Or should I say, Eleanor Rilos." His piercing blue eyes gazed at mine as his lips went up into a wicked smile, knowing that I was beginning to feel in a vulnerable state.

"Don't think I've forgotten of our little encounter, Rider. I remember it very well. How I stuck my blade into your mother. How she screamed out as you stood there, unable to do nothing about it. It's such a pity. But anyway, I killed your father, I killed your mother, and now.... You're next." My blood began to boil with anger. How dare he speak of this. Angry tears began to form as some slipped out. I promise myself I would be avenged. For my father. For my mother.

"Those two are mine." Azog said as he pointed at Thorin and I then looking at the others and shouting, "Kill the others!"

The wargs on command, came charging at us with an unbelievable speed as they crashing into the trees, biting and scratching at the bark.

Gandalf began to light pinecones, passing the flame down the trees until it came to Fili. He then helped light my pinecone as I passed the flame onto Bilbo's. We threw a hole bunch at the wargs, cheering as we saw them collapse but not for long as the roots from the tree began to rip from the ground and soon enough, the tree fell.

My arms started to hurt and grow tired as we all hung on for dear life. I swear I felt they could give out any moment. I could feel my fingers slipping from the branch that I was holding tightly onto. We were all stranded and hanging, without a clue as to what to do now. The wargs kept coming at us, pawing at the trees, trying to shake us off it. Two dwarves had already fallen, holding onto Gandalf's wooden staff.