40. Distant Relation

With one last wave, we all solemnly crept back in the mountain and walked towards the Great Hall again. I dragged my fingers near my eyes and across my cheeks to make sure there weren't any tears left to fall. Fili locked his eyes with mine, they were full of sympathy and care. "You'll see him again, I swear to you. Tell me when and I'll arrange for you to be taken to The Shire."
I slowly nodded my head. "Thank you." Of course I planned on using Bilbo's offer of visiting him one day. Though, anything can happen within the time I actually do go and it frightens me. My heart races with just the thought of it. Bilbo was safe in The Shire. I knew that for sure. Still, a lot has changed in the blink of an eye that I still have to comprehend and let it all sink in.

"I'll see you later, all right? I still have to take care of all this." He said as he gestured around him, the dwarves were still going to and fro, shuffling with things and continue to prepare this place to look cheerful. "Okay." I replied. He turned his back and began to walk away. I watched him leaving, then I turned around to walk to the Library. Figuring that books could keep me occupied until the time of the feast, I decided to walk there. However, I accidentally bumped into a Dwarf woman, who looked a couple of years older than me, who had jet black hair, various braids in it, and a small beard on her face. Me being my clumsy self had made her drop the plates she was carrying. They all scattered on the floor, clanking loudly. Luckily, they didn't draw attention, it was too busy in here for anyone to look at fallen plates.

"Hey!" She shouted angrily, "Watch where you're going!" I cringed at her harsh tone, but I mostly showed some embarrassment on my face for being so awkward as I helped her with the plates. "I am so sorry! I didn't see where I was walking." I quickly gathered up the plates and rose up to hand them to her. "Ya' don't say." I heard her mumble under her breath.

Her expression when she saw me took me by surprise. She probably expected to see another Dwarf. Shock was written on her but then her features soften. Her face twisted to a slight grimace afterwards.

"Oh. Look what the cat dragged in." She said under her breath. She didn't think I heard that, but I certainly did. Well, that didn't hurt at all. "It's you, the half Elf that Fili is betrothed to. It's Erin, right?" She said quite rudely.
"Uh, no. It's Eleanor." I answered her. "And your name is...?"

"It does not matter. I simply want to say a few words to you, Ellen." Seriously, my name isn't that hard to remember. She sent me a scorching look as she took a few steps to meet my eyes, her face hardened. I wanted to sink back and run away but I wasn't going to have her win so easily.

"You better watch your back, half Elf," she spat coldly,"us Dwarves are very protective of our kin and if you do anything to hurt our future King, we will not hesitate to end you. You've already failed with keeping Thorin Oakenshield alive." Then she stepped back and bowed mockingly, "Have a good day, your majesty." Her lips curled with disgust one last time before leaving.

Talk about 'Highlight of the Day'. I'm not saying I want to sink back into a dark hole and stay in there forever, but I am and I do. I was completely appalled to hear how blunt that woman was, and yet I still didn't get her name. Would going back to Rivendell be a good thing? After all, it seems as if I am not needed or wanted here. Who am I kidding? I don't belong here! With a bunch of Dwarves! I was practically Elven raised. Even with the Dwarven blood that is coursing through me, I still did not have a place amongst them.

As much as I do want to leave this place, I cannot bring myself to forsake Fili and the rest of my friends. Just because there is one awful Dwarf doesn't mean they are all bad. Don't give yourself too much hope, you fool, I told myself. But then a spark of fear and worry arose in my chest: What if Fili's mother does not like me? What if she reacts the same way that woman did? I might as well flee right now to save me from the inevitable humiliation.