13

Season Four, Episode sixteen Freedom: Part one

Freedom: Part one

[ TW: Mentions of suicide ]

SEVERAL DAYS HAVE PASSED, and the clinical trial hadn't even worked. There was patients dead after dead which caused everyone to get frustrated.

But now, Esme had been back in therapy. Forcing herself to talk to Dr. Wyatt about her mother's suicide attempt.

"What do you remember about it?" Dr. Wyatt asked her, a curious look on her face while Esme stared out the window.

"Well, it was night time and we were at home. My mom and me were the only ones there that night," Esme replied in a calm tone.

"How long were you there for?" Esme looked hesitant and Dr. Wyatt was quick to notice, "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"Dr. Wyatt, my mother had taken a scalpel and sliced the side of her neck right in front of me, I sat on the kitchen floor with a pool of her own blood as I checked to see if she was even awake, so I could call 911. She didn't know I was there. Till this day she doesn't know I was the one that saw her try to kill herself and call 911 to save her. Obviously it's not an okay thing to talk about," Esme confessed to her as tears pricked in her eyes.

"Did you think she wanted to be saved?"

"No. She obviously did it for a reason," Esme replied with a hurt look on her face.

"Do you know the reason?" Dr. Wyatt asked her and Esme turned around to look at her.

Esme soon sighed deeply. "Well, I don't know the full reason. All I know is that she graduated from college months before and that she was taking a break before going to Medical school. I'm guessing it was about Mark because I could remember her saying his name before she did it."

"Well, you must be angry at her."

"No," Esme quickly replied, "Not at her."

"Who are you angry at then?"

•••

THE NEXT DAY, Esme had been putting on a yellow gown next to Izzie for the incoming trauma. Cristina had rushed over in a energetic mood and it was all because Meredith gave her the sparkling pager.

Izzie had been upset at the idea of Cristina getting it, but Esme was happy as long as Cristina was happy.

"What do we got?" Cristina asked as Izzie shot her a look.