Chapter Fifteen

Wylda blamed the girl for this.

Never once did she think the day would come when her husband would fight their son, the one who would soon ascend to the throne. What a display of power. Men.

But men rush to the battleground for few things- For vengeance and for the attention of women.

In this particular circumstance, the King felt slighted by his own son who dared to defy him whilst the Prince... Well. He couldn't take his eyes off her all morning. Ele stood present only for his benefit. She hated bloodshed and needless shows of strength.

Father and son prepared in separate corners of the arena, each dawning themselves in royal armor that held more cultural significance than it helped them in battle. While they dressed and sought counsel, the morning fog thinned as the sun rose.

The arena was not that at all. In truth, it was an old courtyard with stone floors, cracked in places from years of being trampled on. Around the edges were stone pillars, now crumbling and leaving a mess of debris at the bases. Overgrown rose bushes scattered the perimeter and ivy crept up ornate bronze trellises stationed on the four walls surrounding the courtyard. At one time, this would have been a marvelous place for afternoon tea.

All those in attendance were only the ones the royal family trusted to witness this. Doctor Edinson stood in the midst of the arena, checking his watch over and over, anxious to get past this event. Roman, cousin of the Prince, stood in his corner of the arena and snuck glances at Ele whenever he thought she wouldn't notice.

But she noticed. She also caught on to the way the Kaanan would tighten his fists whenever he fought the urge to turn and look her way.

Now was not the time for distractions. Too close to the duel to lose focus.

The King had his adoring wife by his side, holding his clean-shaven face between her hands and pleading with him to rethink this. There would be no turning back. Those left in the crowd where Ele stood were people she'd seen roaming the castle but never had the pleasure of introductions. They spoke amongst themselves, in just a tone that the dueling royals wouldn't overhear.

"In all my years attending teachings at the castle, I've never heard of such a thing." One woman spoke candidly.

A young man, no older than Ele, turned to that woman to educate her. "You may not have been here at the time but the royal family has dueled one another before, that's why Jyosith became King instead of Charles under King Dorian's command. And such a shame, things would have been very different around here."

"Hush that talk," A man beside the younger one nudged his side. "King Jyosith is a blessing. You wouldn't want some timid pureblood on the throne."

"Mm," The woman mused. "Maybe some would prefer it."

King Dorian. Ele recalled that name from her own research into faenix history. And Charles... Could they be speaking of Doctor Edinson?

She looked to where he still stood, now pacing, and could never imagine him to be a King.

All banter in the crowd halted when father and son turned to face each other. They met Edinson in the center and didn't even make eye contact. Ele hoped they felt shame in this, because the mere point of dueling to solve a quarrel was ludicrous. Roman swept the outskirts of the courtyard to catch any spying eyes before returning to find a place beside the female who caused this.

He crept up beside her and bent down to her ear to taunt. "Pleased with yourself?"

Her eyebrows drew tight, questioning him for an explanation.