Chapter Thirteen

Droplets of rain began breaking through the cloud-barricade that held strong all day. Ele could only hear the patter of it on his wings that cloaked her in their shadows. Mesmerizing. Beautiful. Terrifying. Her mind raced through all the ways to describe those black masses which sprouted from his back.

Internally, the Prince combatted the darkness and ached to stay in the light. Her light.

"Oh, the things I could do in here..." He muttered as if contemplating it seriously. "No one would dare stop me. I could even bet you wouldn't fight it either. You're too kind." He stretched out a hand to grip her tapered chin, then fluidly swept his thumb over her supple lower lip. One day, he wanted it swollen after trapping her in a kiss for much too long. Kaanan had to curse himself under a harsh breath, "Not now."

Ultimately, he prevailed, and his wings folded behind him, slowly dissolving into his body. It allowed for what little sunlight there was, fighting to break through the clouds, to shine down on them and illuminate the eyes of the faenix under him. That's when he saw it- The glimmer of fear. The single tear welling in her left eye, clinging to the cornea to not give away the terror he could now smell radiating from her.

He caused this.

Without looking behind them since he could feel their judgmental stares boring into his back, he strung out a slew of orders they'd be foolish not to follow.

"Sloane, take Leon and Sandros with you to escort Ele back to the castle grounds. Safely. Roman, I need you to accompany me to your father. The rest of you may leave and you are not to speak of what happened today. If I discover one of you talked, all of you will receive punishment. My father will hear of this from me and only me."

The only one brave enough to speak out of turn stepped forward was Sloane. Rather smug, she crossed her arms over her chest and dared to defy her cousin. "No. They're able to handle her just fine. I'm staying with you."

"Do as I-"

"No! She's just a girl. What can she possibly do to them? She has no wings. I'll bet her powers are weak. She can't even talk their ears off for fuck's sake! So tell me, why two capable men can't escort her while I help you?"

"It's not about what she can do to them." Kaanan now seethed at her outburst. Seethed at the thoughts of what two unmated males could do to Ele if they were bold enough.

The meaning of his words lingered in the air. If what he said offended the brother's characters, they didn't let it show. Now, with the atmosphere lacking authority, Ele managed to put some distance between her and everyone present. They were all too caught up in getting the last word to notice the movements of some little-

All eyes turned on her retreat.

She visibly trembled from the onslaught of looks she received.

"Fine." Kaanan exhaled steadily to alleviate the tension. "Sandros, Leon. I'm trusting you to take her back to the castle doors and no further than that. Actually, bring her to the side entrance so my mother doesn't spot her. From there just go straight to your room, Ele."

Spoken like her father. Perhaps that's why she stiffened on the spot and raised her head to meet his gaze. The lingering consequence of disobeying his words, the boy who spoke directives, as would a man in power, weighed her down. Nevertheless, not weighted enough to where her legs couldn't carry her a few paces towards the brothers, eager to accompany her back to the castle.

Though her posture and movements came off as timid- Ele was anything but. And Kaanan knew she would fight. Could fight. If the need presented itself.

Sandros, craving to get her off of the Prince's leash, offered his hand to drag her along faster.