Chapter Thirty-Seven

The grey, static water had a veil of ice coating the surface. It was here, a lifetime ago, that she first saw the monster he'd become.

Depending on how one perceived it, the lodge Kaanan brought her to wasn't far from the castle at all. It just took some time and maneuvering to get to. When she stared across the wide gorge every day, she saw the spot where the boys would go cliff jumping. The lodge was nestled deep into the woods, unseen from the other cliff side.

Every day, she'd go out to sit at the edge and materialize the memories of her friends; Sandros, Leon, Roman, and even Sloane. And each day she went out, nighttime came earlier and soon she had to start wearing a heavier coat.

Kaanan loved hiding out here. The council was never made aware of this secret cabin that his parents would bring him to almost every summer. Back when they were a genuine family.

They both knew he was putting off the unavoidable trial.

Wylda came once a week. She only stayed for a day when she did, hoping not to draw too much attention to her whereabouts. The journey here made her venture into the depths of a cave just to have to climb back out the other end. The hidden entrance rested behind a waterfall, but Ele never left this place.

Another prison with a different view.

"Knew I'd find you here."

Kaanan sat down beside her and left some distance.

He clicked his tongue when she just kept looking ahead. "After the trial, we can go to our estate in Parasio Valley, if you'd like. We can finally stretch our wings without worry that someone is watching."

Even though the demons left his body, his wings were still a part of him. Except he kept her practically chained to the ground here.

When he noticed a slight twitch of her eye, he knew to use that leverage some more.

"There're acres upon acres there. You could strengthen your wings and even go to Sol Pago sometime to visit your family. Only if you want to. I just need you to stay here while I'm gone. My mother will keep coming weekly to get you anything you need." His mouth went dry as he spewed things he hoped made her happy. "I fear the council will use you against me if you leave here."

Ele struggled with that. What use did she have to the council?

"Before I leave, can I ask one more thing of you?" He imagined the nod of her head before she even did it. So compliant that it worried him. "How would you feel about me placing my mark over Roman's? I wanted to ask you this time and know how you feel about it... About me."

Ele considered her feelings about him. From the moment she met him, she read him like an open book- Arrogant as a Prince, a little demented, and more than anything... Considerate of her condition to the point of affection.

His touch, always tender.

His words, always thoughtful.

His eyes, always yearning.

"So?" He begged her to answer honestly.

Failing to find the right words, she tilted her head to one side to better expose the faded scar that Roman left. Kaanan eyed it hungrily but needed to be assured.

"Please tell me if this is truly what you want."

'It feels like forever ago when I discovered you understood my dead language. I immediately felt closer to you than anyone else in my life. That feeling of being seen and heard... It's what keeps me going.' She confessed what she held back for so long. One of the many reasons why she exclaimed the following words, 'I love you, Kaanan. With all my heart, I know I love you or else I would have flown away by now. I never had the courage to fly until you needed me. I never imagined I'd come to love a vampire or willingly sleep amongst them in their home.'