Chapter Nineteen

Ele didn't sleep well that night after the grand announcement.

She battled with the 'why' of it all. Why did he lead her on? Why was he choosing now to announce it? Why his cousin? And above all else- Why did she expect any different?

The overwhelming happiness that came with the obvious calling off of the public mating ceremony made her complacent. She shouldn't confront him or even grace his presence until her own feelings were in check. For now, she had other things to focus on. One would think her preoccupied with the King and Queen battling each other just to sink their claws into the naïve faenix... And yet she had higher concerns.

Like the flowers and note awaiting her just outside her door. They got her heart all in a flutter over who could be the mysterious culprit. The gentleman's signature at the bottom of the scribbled note caused her shoulders to drop from disappointment.

Roman.

The taunting male turned into her newest admirer. She recalled just days ago when he whispered awful things at the duel between Kaanan and the King. Ele hated how easily he coaxed his way under her thin skin. Perhaps this was nothing more than a casual tease.

Then she delved into his note and a heated blush covered her face the more she read on:

'Ele, I hope these flowers awaken your room as you've awakened the light in me. After last night, I dreamt of basking in your presence some more. If you'll allow me the pleasure, I have prepared a lunch basket for us to take to the gardens this afternoon. Don't let anything or anyone dissuade you from coming unless it is of your own choice. Until then, Roman.'

A date proposal.

The freedom to choose was something Ele had hardly been afforded during her time in this prison, composed of stone walls and captivating faces. The royals thought her life to be a game and she picked up on that quickly.

She glanced out the window to take note of the sun's positioning in the sky. With that, she deduced it was shortly before noon and time to get ready. Since she didn't exit her room for breakfast in the chance Kaanan awaited her there, lunch sounded nice. A pleasant distraction.

Plus, she could ask everything she craved to know more about.

Looking into her wardrobe hastily, she grabbed the garment that suited a beautifully sunny day such as this. A pale yellow, flowy dress called to her, begging to be worn. When the Queen came to stock her closet, she expressed that the young girl wear flattering clothes to gain suitors. So all the dresses in there were gorgeous.

This one had two layers of fabric- The primary yellow linen that reminded her of the stardust roses her mother would plant in the front garden, and a sheer overlay, which complimented it with a slight shimmer when the sun hit it just right. Simply beauteous.

She went over to the ancient treasures of her people, bestowed upon her by the Queen without the King's permission, and grabbed a modest diamond necklace from a chest full of jewelry. When faenixes wore jewels; they did so as to not outshine their wings. So everything in this chest was laughable to any royal in this castle.

Although fully clothed, she felt more naked now than ever as she walked the halls on her way to join Roman.

Turning the corner, she found the doors leading to the gardens already propped open, likely due to the grace of pleasant weather this afternoon. She stood at the entrance for a brief moment to take in the tickling breeze accompanied by dominating rays of sun with no clouds to lessen the swelter.

Birds fluttered by her and chased one another around the stone archways and rose-covered lattices, taking shelter in the bushes only to pop back out and begin their games again.