Chapter Two

It wasn't long after the incident that she was standing before the door to her home, feeling like she didn't belong. She hugged her favorite silk cloak to her body in an attempt to cover herself from the world. Eventually, they'd discover that she was even more of a freak now because of those monsters.

No one would give her the time to speak about it and explain what happened. Those fears quickly became reality.

Just as she twisted the handle of the front door, the man willing to mate her swung it open and took in her haggard appearance. She cast a look of bewilderment at him. Why would he still be hanging around?

"Eledorah's back!" He exclaimed loudly, then pulled her into his arms as if his strong male presence might soothe her. He squeezed her into his body to feel how nicely she fit there, where she was meant to be. Greedy hands stroked her back, only to assure her that she already belonged to him. "What's..."

The bumps. He felt them and not her wings. She didn't expect him to be here-

He gripped the silk in his hands and denuded it from her, despite her attempt to keep it wrapped around her shame. It tore from a small rip it already had in it from an accident during her childhood, shortly after her father had it crafted for her. After that one time, she treasured it so dear and hardly ever let it touch the ground. Now it ripped into two halves.

If she thought Davient was frightening whilst he held the blade above her head, not hesitating to swing it down upon her... This new male was ten times that. It was in his blind fury that he spun a tale the whole witnessing neighborhood believed as they came out to stand watch.

"You sold your wings so I wouldn't mate you?!" He bellowed, the silent night unforgiving and allowing everyone within a square mile to hear. Angered, he shoved his hands against her chest to send her back a few steps away from her own home. A place she was meant to feel secure. "How dare you disrespect your race in that manner! Who did you sell them to? Pirates? What did they give you? That silk robe?"

No, her father gave her that-

Something struck her cheek so hard it rattled her teeth. She expected it of the man, but not from her own mother, who now stared her down with embarrassment. The woman cast shame on her own daughter, who looked like a mirror's reflection, and declared banishment.

"Get off this property. Better yet, get off the land your ancestors protected for generations so we could feel safe in our own sector of Sepulchre. You've made a mockery of them and me. Your father would have turned you away too."

Tears brimmed around Eledorah's eyes. It would be her own mother that would send her away? That can't be... It's not right... She trailed her gaze to where the man had his stubby fingers around her mother's waist. Now it all made sense.

Numb to it all, not willing to allow her hands to attempt to tell her story, she turned from the doorstep and walked down the street she was raised on, with her head lowered . People who've known her for all her life closed their doors as she passed. Whispering how cruel and disgraceful a person would have to be to do such a thing.

If only they knew.

If only they'd seen the satyroids corner her and strip her of everything a faenix was. They were still here in Sol Pago, right under the detection of warriors tucked securely in their homes with families they swore to protect. Most of which were flightless because it was no longer a necessity. Only a select few were trained in using their wings as their ancestors had for hunting purposes and border patrol.

If she had the courage to take flight, as her father once taught her, she would have been able to escape those horned beasts with ease. Yet, whenever faced with danger, Eledorah always failed to spread them and take flight.