Chapter Ten

A hand slammed down on the table and, when she stilled from how it shook the ground that supported her chair, she noticed the pain shooting up her arm. Both men displayed different reactions to her anger- The Prince, proud. The King, entertained. But Ele remained shocked at her own body's actions.

"Very well, I shall give you time to think on it." He reached to grab the parchment and rolled it up meticulously. The ink likely smudged and gave way to a new agreement to be written later on. In the meantime, he would discover her secrets by watching her squirm under his thumb.

Jyosith rounded the table and casually stood at her side, looking down at her as inferior. She remained trapped under his scrutinizing gaze but that didn't stop her from making her own assessments of the King. The one thing that stuck out was the resemblance between father and son. Down to their physique, mannerisms, and even tone of voice.

"Where did you bite her? The skin of her neck couldn't have heeled since then." He ran a calloused finger up and down the exposed column of her throat. Before she left this castle, he silently vowed to get a taste of her to reap the benefits of the magic blood that healed his tormented offspring.

Kaanan pointed to her bandaged arms with disdain. He felt no pride for the mutilations he caused.

"This? I thought that to be the work of the satyroids she fought. Hmm..." He clicked his tongue while assessing her arms. They would not be so thickly wrapped from her wrist all the way to her elbow if not for considerable damage.

That sound. Ele winced when he clicked his tongue, remembering the satyroids, but he took it as a sign that she felt discomfort as he twisted her arm to view the wrappings.

"Regardless, it falls on you to entertain her if she's to stay here." The children waited to hear his suggestions, "Maybe take her to play with your friends? Introduce her to possible suitors to keep her busy so she doesn't roam freely where she's not allowed?"

As a way to appease his father, Kaanan complied. He knew better than to think it was a mere suggestion. "Certainly, father. I already planned to accompany her on a tour of the grounds and the nearby waterfalls, if that may be arranged?"

"You would sneak off there with your friends soon enough... As you used to before..." For the first time since meeting him, the King now showed true emotion that wasn't being feigned for his benefit. He swallowed away the guilt before she could process the reason behind it, "Take her tomorrow. There's a council meeting tomorrow to discuss the existing borders and... The faenixes that patrol them. It would be best if she were not seen, so I want you gone for their entire time here."

Kaanan didn't question it and only repeated, "Certainly, father."

"You may leave." He shooed them with the back of his hand now that he felt the conversation had come to a close. "But first... Kneel, girl."

Ele blanked. He knew her name, knew the will of her people to never take a knee, and he still called on her to do this insufferable task. To make matters worse... The Prince waited expectantly that she would not disobey. She knew it'd only make her life that much harder if she fought everything these people threw at her, so she stood from the chair only to wobble down to her knees once a few paces in front of the King.

Then her head bent to gaze at his black suede loafers.

"Son, what's the sign for 'lord'?" He questioned the other soul who knew her language instead of her. Clearly, he didn't trust her. Ele peeked to see if he had taught his father properly, no real surprise when she found he had. Then the King's attention was back on her, "While under my castle and my rule, you shall obey my every command. Do I make myself clear?"