Chapter Twenty-Two

"Sire! Come quick!" Just as the Prince vanished into the castle, a guard came rushing out and they feared they had just unleashed a menace upon everyone in the estate. Except it was far, far worse than that. The guard sucked in air to rush out the unfolding events. "Satyroids. In the castle. They tried to go after the younglings again."

The moment he uttered 'satyroids', the Queen and Charles already raced past him. The guard blanked, unsure if he should tend to the King or rush back to defend the castle.

Ele also struggled with what to do.

"Do you have this under control?" When the guard asked her, she immediately nodded and looked at the King, now slumped against the stone wall regaining his strength. Once he recovered, who knows what he'd do with her. But she didn't care.

Without acknowledging her commitment to the King, the guard hurried back into the castle to put his life on the line protecting the royals. If he could do that, Ele could tend to a weakened vampire.

.

.

Wylda came upon the attackers moments too late. They escaped.

Without her young but she still wished to rip their organs from their spineless bodies. To attack babies? Her blood boiled and unchecked rage stirred from the night's events. Someone had to answer for all of this bloodshed.

After she checked on her sleeping young, untouched and blissfully tuckered away in a dream, she went to find answers.

"Queen Wylda!" A guard called out for her and rushed to keep up with her determined stride. "My Queen! We caught one of the satyroids while they escaped. He's being brought to the dungeons-"

She turned and locked eyes, making him gulp. "Bring. Him. To. Me. Now."

"But my Queen-"

"Now!"

"Yes, your Majesty.

"And fetch the faenix girl. She needs to answer for her crimes as well."

"Y-yes..."

While the ones who threatened her family were gathered for her, she thought about every which way to punish them. Then the perfect torture dawned on her. The plan presented itself all too perfectly.

The royal guards rounded the corner with the girl first. She came too easy. Moments later, a parade of guards were heard before they were seen- Dragging the satyroid still fighting for his life.

"You know where to bring them." Her eyes gleamed with excitement to see her plan unravel.

She watched as they were dragged down to a place known only by her most trusted advisors and the royal guards. Not even the King was made aware of the secret dungeons beneath her boudoir.

Once they descended the staircase hidden behind an ornate gold, full-length mirror, the guards began to usher the captives into separate chambers. But the Queen had another idea.

"Put them in the same cell." She ordered.

Until now, Ele hadn't fought against them, sure of her ability to persuade the Queen out of this nonsense. At the absurd commands to be locked away with the satyroid, one of the very ones who stole her wings, her head shot up and she looked around, panicked. Pleading with her eyes for someone to show her mercy.

"And take their cuffs off, I wouldn't want them feeling uncomfortable..." Wylda threw her head back in laughter, loving how the girl squirmed and feigned innocence. One hour in the cell with that demon with horns would get her spilling all her dark secrets.