Chapter Eleven

Days passed. Plans were made accordingly around Eledorah's healing process and the weather. Throughout the week, cloudy skies hovered over the castle with thunderstorms soaking everything, even flooding the gardens. The only enjoyment she could get from being in such a remarkable place would be the surrounding grounds, and now even that was taken from her.

Apparently royals don't like to get wet- Gods forbid!

Ele chuckled at this. The people who could afford to change outfits ten times in a day and they don't even want to get a drip of water on them.

"What has you smiling so early?" Kaanan rounded the corner, not expecting her to be awaiting him. He planned to make her breakfast before their departure.

But there she sat, half eaten apple in hand and in just the outfit he picked for her. She wore a blood-red tuxedo lapel, one suited for royal women. Under it were tight-fitting black riding pants. Perfect for their hike. Today was the official tour and gorge outing. A date of sorts; orchestrated by him but forced by his over watchful parents.

She shook her head to indicate that it was nothing, just lost in thought. He didn't believe that for a second yet let it slip.

"Ready then? All packed?" He saw the bag at her feet. He just wanted to check if she was actually up for this. Give her another chance to back out.

Rising from her seat, she swung the bag over her shoulder and smiled wider than ever. He was worried about her being overly eager for this... It raised the expectations.

In his Vampiric studies that met bi-weekly, he told his friends they're required to be in their best behavior. A handful of them were even bringing their mates. Not much had changed in the group. They continued to be prissy, spoiled kids who simply now could get married and legally drink. He didn't think it a coincidence that both dawned at the same age.

Suppose Ele thinks the same of him. Spoiled. Kaanan silently hoped for this day to be remotely fun for her or else it was wasted time.

"Well, I thought we'd start at the gorge since there are some clouds rolling in. Try to have a good time there and then we can tour more of the grounds that you haven't seen. Charles told me you went to the Eastern greenhouse and the gardens just past it. Those are rubbish compared to where I want to bring you. Sound good?"

'Delightful! Lead the way.' She skipped up to him and waited for him to make the first move out of the castle. This would be a short-lived prison break but she'd take it.

"Don't look that cute around my friends or else they might try to take you from me..." He exclaimed just above the tone of a whisper. She caught it, being right beside him, and her smile faded.

Whenever he spoke in such a dead tone, she thought of herself as his property. And at times she didn't think it was a lighthearted joke.

A playful look touched his gaze and she brushed it off as nothing. Without addressing it any further, they left the castle and all the tension behind them. Things seemed to brighten- Both their moods plus the looming grey clouds that parted for the sun to shine.

They didn't have to walk far for the gorge and cliffs. A trail around back of the estate lead a mile through the woods and opened to a massive sweep of waterfalls staggering different heights. If she continued Southeast... Home. The outskirts of Sol Pago lied roughly three miles away just through these woods. She felt it call for her to come home. Felt the wind rush past her to carry her back to where she thrived amongst her people.

Except.... She never thrived. They did.

Kaanan caught her somber expression towards the East and welcomed the sight of his friends already gathered, a perfect distraction.