Chapter Twenty-One

Massive black wings sprung from Kaanan's back and the King stumbled backwards upon witnessing a phenomenon unseen for decades. He mistrusted his own eyes.

"Son, are those-" Real? The full question went unasked since he was no longer looking into the eyes of his son. Jyosith's mouth went dry, and he dared to ask for mercy. "Please, Kaanan. Let's retire to my office to discuss this. The girl can go free."

Mercy, in Kaanan's eyes, was out of the question because he showed none to Ele. His pleas were actually laughable considering moments before he sat smugly by as the young girl plead for anything but this cruel fate. Now he needed to avenge her.

Ele veered over to the courtyard wall, hugging the stone to hold herself upright. She could not intervene and risk certain death at the King's hand or the ungodly creature before her. Now, with only three remaining in attendance, the very three people with the power to stop her unfortunate circumstance, she felt at a loss to help. Why help those who wouldn't help her?

And besides, Kaanan was already lost to the darkness...

Wylda switched her pleading gaze to her son; seeing exactly what Ele saw, too. Black eyes. Raw power. And so much anger. How did such an evil thing spawn from her?

Kaanan charged the King, who did his best to maneuver out of reach of the outstretched claws which craved to tear him apart. All efforts were in vain as Kaanan stretched out his wings behind him and mightily swung them forward to create a powerful gust that knocked the retreating King to his hands and knees.

The 'duel' continued as such: One sided. A typical duel consisted of two fighting parties, but in this case there remained only one while the only fought simply for survival. Ele had to watch as Kaanan sauntered over to where his father trembled on the stone floor and placed a calculating hand on the back on his neck, only to pause so his claws could sink in right before lifting him from the ground like a rag doll.

Blood spurted from the five talons buried deep into his neck. He held him there like a trophy. His feet dangled a few inches in the air and he fought against the powerful grip puppeteering him.

The Queen saw enough. She offered an apologetic glance to the faenix girl cowering in the corner, who seemed unable to pry her gaze from the men. Then she fled to find the one person who could stop this.

She caught him in the wine cellar, just where she thought he'd be. What better place to drown your sorrows? He already reeked of whiskey when he dropped the girl off to the ceremony and Wylda had to watch him disappear back into the castle, knowing just where she'd go if put in his position.

There he sat; empty bottles all around him and one firmly in his hand. He lifted it to his lips lackadaisically and would have taken another sip to deepen his stupor if not for his Queen commanding his assistance. Duty called.

"You need to come. Now."

He waved a dismissive hand at her. "And what could I possibly help? I don't want to see the aftermath of what I did. Find someone else."

"Nothing happened! The girl remains untouched. Kaanan..." She trembled at the impossible words.

The doctor nodded solemnly, "He showed his wings."

Her attention perked. "What do you know about this?"

"A few weeks ago he came to me and showed me, as a doctor I have confidential-"

A sudden slap on his face knocked a few bottles of wine out of his system. "Fuck your confidentiality! This is my son! Your nephew! You have a duty to the throne before-"

His abrupt laughter interrupted her rant. She pulled her hand back and crossed them over her chest, wondering how he found any of this funny. Then she remembered what she left to find him and what each second could mean for her husband.