Chapter One

Beauty is an affront to an exceptionally ugly world- One that she must fight to save for fear of history repeating itself.

~~~

Cloak draped around her in just a way that it sagged and exposed the rounded tips of her crimson wings, she walked back home in a daze. Running away had been an impulse and now she'd have to pay the consequences. It took two hours, maybe three at most, but she didn't know the exact time. The sun was setting; and that itself was a clear indicator that she should return to her safe abode where agony awaited her.

Two miserable hours passed just pondering what her mother had in store for her. Rejecting an offer, when she was positive she'd never be given the chance, was stupid. So foolish, in fact, that she was sure the suitor would no longer be waiting for her when she returned.

She squeezed her eyes tight when remembering the words that caused her to flee.

•••

"Eledorah!" Her mother's sing-song chipper voice worried her more so than the strange man sitting at the table with her. "Auroran, this is my daughter Ele that I told you about. She comes of age in just a few days."

The man stood from where he sat, vibrant red wings peeking out from behind his warrior arms that could likely crush a man's skull. He circled the petite girl, making her feel like a stranger in her own kitchen, sinking her into the tile with only a glare.

"I'll mate her, despite her broken voice. Only to continue the redwings." He sounded self-assured in his declaration. As if doing a charity deed.

•••

Those words, and her mother's thrilled expression, are what made her instantaneously turn heel and bolt for the door. Neither were fast enough with words nor actions to stop her. With her being much younger, she managed to sprint out of sight before they could even make it outside to see which direction she went. They knew it would be a waiting game until she came crawling back, accepting his offer.

Now that the streets were dark, these people that fed on the sun were retreating indoors. Dim lights hung outside scattered homes were the only thing offering guidance. These streets were mapped in her mind without a flaw, however. She knew every shortcut and darkened alley, navigating it practically blind.

Something felt out of place. Her wings twitched as her breath caught in her lungs. Intruders. Their scent stood out and scorched her nostrils with a putrid scent- Alcohol. A tainted beverage that few faenixes consumed in fear it'd send them into a stupor that would leave them defenseless.

The chatter of men echoed down the alley she found herself in. She had to hide quickly before they turned the corner and discovered her. Whatever beings they may be, their eyesight was likely better than hers since no full moon illuminated the sky. 

So she backed up until she felt the edging of a garbage bin. There was no time to waste fitting inside the thing- It'd make too much noise and it was filled to the brim anyway.

Instead, she ducked behind it and lingered there, crouching uncomfortably with her wings scraping the stone siding of the building behind her. Their footsteps grew louder, as did their voices. Apparently, they were not concerned with remaining hidden. That crossed a few species off her list of suspects.

Who, or what, would be dull enough to stumble drunk into a powerful city crawling with faenixes?

The answer became obvious when the footsteps she heard sounded more like a trot. Satyroids. And ones with strong lineage, if they still had their hooves. Decades of cross breeding had weaved out that trait amongst many.