Chapter Twenty-Three

Even the hefty, iron-enforced dungeon doors couldn't hold back the screams traveling up those stairs and assaulting the ears of anyone in the Queen's boudoir.

"Mm." Speak of the devil. Wylda sat, perky and amused by the workings of her son. She should have been sending him to do her dirty work all along. With all the wicked things occurring beneath her, she still had the stomach for tea and cookies. "Oh! Where are my manners... Tea? A scone?"

Ele stiffened at the sight of her so nonchalantly sipping tea with the full knowledge of what she unleashed. She turned her head away before making a face that could get her in trouble.

"You know, he'll never believe you. So don't bother telling him. In his mind, he already worked up the notion that the satyroid dragged you down there to forcefully mate you. All the facts are meaningless to him. Trust me, I know men and how their minds work." She laughed, bitter when remembering how jealous Jyosith had been in their youth.

The Queen carried on with this one-sided conversation and sought to drown the girl with knowledge of how the world worked. Since she clearly wasn't accepting her fate...

"Satyroids marry for lust and breeding. Faenixes marry for lineage and power. The dhampirs marry whoever they wish, no restrictions. Then we have shifters, especially wolves, most of which were granted mates by the gods they worship, if their spirituality is virtuous and true. And lastly, vampires. Whose sole purpose is to keep the bloodline pure."

She paused, thinking on her words before continuing, "Sure, there have been marriages that have transcended those boundaries. But you are asking my son is turn away from tradition just because you love him. Is that what's best for him? For you? Would you turn your back on your gods for him? Your ancestors?"

Ele hadn't asked this of Kaanan in the slightest. How dare she-

"Do not deny it, you foolish child! I see that look on your face, wishing to defend yourself even though anyone in the castle can see you pining for him day after day. You will mate Roman. Soon. Just as Kaanan will take Sloane in three days. Have you not broken my son enough?"

The woman's voice broke on the last remark and Ele's face softened. Moments ago, she sought to explain everything to a mother that just wished to secure her son's future... There would be no argument in the world that would change her mind.

Ele didn't want marriage or even a mate. But if tradition forced her to accept the way of nature... So be it.

When the Queen witnessed the girl nod, acceptance dawning on her feeble soul, she wanted to shout victoriously. She had witnessed too much of Kaanan's demons and, as if on cue to solidify things, the doors swung open and he waltzed up the steps with the satyroid's horns in his hand. Covered in black hair and dripping with blood.

He tossed the prize to his mother's feet.

"They'll come for revenge so we shall go to them first."

War? Wylda sang the word with delight in her head while Ele shrunk back in fear.

Now that his eyes were on her, she could speak to him but was unsure of what to say or ask first. So she settled with the most pressing, 'Did you kill him?'

"Gods no, I need him alive to witness his kingdom's downfall. Then you'll have the honors of swinging the sword down on him once we restore your wings."

Ele gripped her stomach to place pressure where she felt unease. The revulsion at the thought of war combined with the pain still radiating from her ankle and knee was starting to mingle in the worst of ways.

"I'll get Charles-"

"Son, no! Don't trouble yourself. I've already sent for him and Roman, they'll be here shortly. You have wedding plans to tend to. Wouldn't want a stressed bride, now would we?"