Chapter Twenty-Seven

One more day. Just one day before normalcy shifted and reality came crashing down on her. Would she accept it when it came?

If this was her new normal, then she had a twisted perception of living. Years ago, even mere months ago, her definition of living simply included her wings and the open sky.

Roman never came to her door last night. She thanked the heavens for that. Even if he had, she wouldn't have opened it. She had both locks secure plus a dresser in front of it. She stayed up all night; kept alert by an intense feeling of foreboding.

Although she showered twice last night, she felt the need to hop in the shower again now that the sunrise ushered in a new day. She'd find solace once in the kitchen with Armida and prayed the woman would let her stick around all day.

Just as she stepped out of the shower and began wrapping a towel around her to dry, the dreaded knock came. Having just turned off the loud water of the shower, she knew the person on the other side of the door would've heard her moving around.

It would only be a matter of minutes before he threatened to charge down the door.

Not wanting to cause need for a door renovation, curtesy of the royals she owed so much to already, she reached over the dresser to unlock the deadbolts- Forgetting about all the questions that the barricade would raise.

A different male waited on the other side than the one she thought would be coming for her.

'Kaanan.' She acknowledged him, then feigned confidence with only a towel wrapped around her as she backed up to let him in.

Why did he have to show up now?

"Ele." He, too, could play this game.

He hated to see that she showered so early; he came here hoping to catch her off guard. He secretly hoped that his spineless cousin would be here, too.

"Can I..." He looked at the dresser while tilting his head to examine her makeshift barricade. "Come in? Or were you expecting a siege?"

The comment, despite her current feelings toward him, brought a slight smile to her lips.

Kaanan pushed the dresser back enough to give him space to slip through, wondering how she even managed to move the damn thing. Adrenaline could have sparked this reaction- Brought on by unmatched terror.

"Now that he's not around, you'll tell me the truth, won't you?" To prove he meant to protect her from his cousin, he locked the doors and didn't approach her, given her fragile state. "I promise not to unleash the darkness if you just tell me. You have my word, Ele. If I find out from him, or anyone else, then I'll react harsher than if it came from your lips."

She thought about the other culprits- Leon and Sandros. Who knowingly hid her from their Prince. They might feel burdened by guilt and confess one day, leaving Roman to the cruel intentions of whatever that monster inside Kaanan deemed a fitful punishment.

'Okay, I'll tell you... Please don't go back on your promise though.' She signed this in bitter defeat. She knew she couldn't protect everyone, and trying to do so only endangered herself. When he once more promised to uphold his promise, she relived yesterday's affairs all over again when she told him everything.

The Prince had to work hard to stand by the agreed upon terms that got her to divulge the truth. He fisted his claws into her sheets, uncaring at how she loved their comfort. As she told him about the way Roman claimed her until she passed out, he further ripped the sheets as he imagined himself clawing into his cousin's heartless body and tearing him apart.

'Kaanan...' She tenderly reached out for him to take shelter in his embrace. Whether it be more for her own sake or to calm him, she wasn't sure.

He pulled back, afraid of what he might do to her.