Chapter Four

All the time that she slept, body giving itself copious time to heal, she felt trapped in the prison conceived from her encounters with the satyroids. Never had she experienced nightmares... Now she was trapped in an endless loop of them. They consisted of her being dragged beneath the earth, deep into the crypts most of their kind sought shelter in, and being treated like an insect that they'd repeatedly squash.

Never to see the sun again.

It paralyzed her beyond the point of being able to wake from it. Almost like she was purposefully torturing herself for the misfortunes bestowed upon her against her control. A gentle pull to the surface saved her soul from drowning in misery- Her sun. It danced upon her skin and brought her back to life in more ways than one.

Her eyes shot open and exposed her renewed soul. The sunlight reminded her of her purpose.

The mother, whom she unknowingly fought so vigilantly against the tyrants for, practically leapt to her side the moment she awoke. A woman so elegant in appearance stared down at her; with manicured fingers, hair groomed into a bun without a golden strand out of place, and a gown befitting a... Queen.

This woman was hardly the figure other faenixes painted her to be. A merciless, blood-sucking Queen? Hardly. In front of Eledorah was a timid mother that had a stream of gratitude pouring out of her mouth.

It overwhelmed her and she struggled to reply, hands attempting to explain her side of things before they jumped to conclusions on her involvement with the satyroids.

The woman straightened then, confusion drawing her eyebrows close. Then she placed a hand on Eledorah's trembling gestures. "Oh sweet child, we can't understand that dead language here. I'm so sorry."

Her hands dropped onto the narrow bed they had tucked her into. Tight, white blankets held her down to the bed almost like chains. Except she could tell she wasn't being restrained. A quick look around the room told her they had been... Taking care of her. Diligently.

Reaching a hand to pick up the fitted covers, she glanced down to see red scar tissue forming over a wound that couldn't be too old.

Upon seeing her puzzled gaze, the Queen confirmed. "It's been three days. Your own body's natural healing plus our medicine provided a quick recovery. Soon it will be just a scar. A painful reminder of that night."

Sadness touched her jade eyes and her voice lowered from unrestrained hatred. "Those men nearly killed my babies. Who were they? We suspect the way they attempted to kill you before questioning did not strongly associate you with them."

Eledorah opened her mouth before clamping it shut. Words were difficult when they couldn't be spoken. The woman reached to the bedside desk and grabbed the doctor's notepad and pencil.

"Here. Tell me everything."

And so she did. She wrote page after page of the night's events, even including the beginning where they stole her wings. While leaving out some bitter details, she informed the Queen that her mother had outcast her after seeing her wings were gone.

At that, the female muttered a stream of profanities ending with, "Faenix parents are so vain. I'm sorry that she was not the proper mother for you."

Eager to finish up the harsh recollection of events, she scribbled the details of the brother's plan to invade. When she got to the part where she realized their intentions upon entering the nursery and ran for help, the frightened mother gripped the hands of the girl she had to thank for eternity.

"That's all you need to write. I know the rest now. Thank you for saving them, for giving up your wings for them... Most creatures would never, especially for a race not their own. You shall stay here until we can recover your wings and find someone capable of restoring them to you. I swear we will do everything in our power to find them. After all you've done... I feel ashamed for asking one more favor from you."