Chapter Nine

Many of her days the next week were spent in motionless sleep. Something she couldn't force herself awake from even if she tried. When her eyes did open, she hoped they would find her safe in her bedroom back home. All of this a massive nightmare.

Ele looked around the room without the sun to shed light. Her eyes adjusted quickly and saw nothing changed. Tucked tight under blankets, she pulled them up and tossed them aside.

White linens, white curtains, white tiles, dull white walls...

She craved to see anything vibrant and bursting with color. Anything that resembled the sun. Even in the darkness, Ele gripped the gifted cloak that contained stitched beams of hope that the sun would rise again. How could she sleep another wink now?

Tirelessly, she kicked off the cloth shackles around her ankles and went to stand. Weak knees from lack of nutrition supported her just barely, groaning at any movement. Both arms tried to assist in getting off the bed but were just as woefully frail.

She ignored all signs to lie back down and teetered over to the door. The Queen mentioned she was a guest here... Not a prisoner. Rules had not been set and it would be understandable that she needed a glass of water.

And going back to bed meant more hours of gloom confinement.

Begging forgiveness above permission, she opened the door and peaked left then right to see if anyone was around.

I'm not sneaking about, I'm getting water.

Thinking that she could easily explain that to anyone she encountered, she slipped out of her room and walked in the middle of the corridor, going against the urge to stick to the shadows. Every so often, a sconce would be placed so she could assess where she was. With no knowledge of where to find the kitchen, she followed a gut instinct that told her it would have to be somewhere on a lower floor.

Rounding a corner that looked familiar, it occurred to her that she was going in circles.

Where are the stairs! She huffed and walked the opposite way so that she didn't repeat earlier mistakes.

Quiet in the void of night- Not a soul saw her or even heard her, already tuckered down in private quarters. It had to be late in the night, sometime close to the witching hour. Now scared of what composed the shadows that licked the sides, she remained in the middle of the hall and walked on timidly.

What was she looking for? She had to remind herself to keep an eye out for stairs leading downwards so she could retrieve water.

Antiquities hidden from the world for so long and archaic armor, weapons, and paintings scattered throughout the halls she walked. None of them were placed according to decade or style, likely placed wherever there was space left. She dragged her hand down one suit of armor in admiration.

Then it struck her that she'd hardly been watching what turns she took to get here.

How will I ever find my room...

Now in the middle of a lengthy hallway, baring no lights on the wall to illuminate it, the sound of a door opening made her freeze in place. The thick, hearty doors made of oak creaked open without a care that people might hear and awake from it. It took a few anguishing seconds before a towering shadow walked out. She felt like it stood twice her height and filled the expanse between the walls and ceilings.

It stared directly at her.

"Who are you?" Hand already reaching down where she could make out the long shape of a sword planted on his side.

Ele's hand shot up to her throat and begged him to understand her position. Against the dark shadows she resided in, he couldn't see the girl struggle to tell him -without words- that she didn't have the power to speak.