Chapter Thirty-Six

Roman knew the battle was over when he saw them.

The battle against the castle and the battle for her heart. He stuck around only to see that his father made it out of the crumbling estate alive. Charles joined him where he stood and dispersed the men to search the grounds while he checked on everyone who made it out alive. 

By chance, the soldiers did not see what Roman fixated on. Kaanan, a picture of nobility despite how far he'd fallen. And in his arms... The beauteous Eledorah with her red-

As the couple approached from around back and parted the grey smoke that escaped out open doors and windows; Roman saw something that made him turn ashen once he concluded that his eyes did not deceive him.

Ele's once strikingly bright-red wings were now contaminated with black feathers. The new onyx plumes coated the tips of her wings and speckled into the rest of them, creating an ombre effect. Something about it made them more breathtaking than before, but Roman knew she'd see them differently.

Kaanan staggered a bit as he clutched her closer to his chest to hide her from prying eyes. Charles raced to them next to ensure their health; doctor mode kicked in despite the urge to call out for soldiers to apprehend him. Roman hung back on high alert.

The doctor first assessed the girl, who was just showing signs of waking.

"Ele, I need you to take a few deep breaths and let it out slowly. I want to hear your breathing to see if the smoke inhalation damaged your lungs." As she did what was asked of her, he sighed. No irreversible damage. "And Kaanan, you too."

His nephew listened without questioning. A sign that the demons were put to rest.

"Now, as for her wings..." He trailed off, speechless.

For the first time since consuming the curse, Ele took a glance at her wings even though she felt their change when it happened. Her once crimson-treasures would now have her ancestors turning away in shame. She closed her eyes tight to imagine them as they once were. Untainted.

Kaanan felt no sorries matched what she sacrificed. So he didn't bother with an apology.

"She saved me." He admitted for everyone to hear. Now he had to cleanse these lands of the horrors he unleashed. "Let the castle burn. Nothing good has ever come out of there. Tell the council that they can send me to trial once I get Eledorah somewhere safe. My mother... Where is she?"

When the voices were in his head, they informed him that he came from demonic blood. Wylda was not his true mother, but he'd be damned if he forgot that she raised him.

Charles glanced around. "I saw her escape. I don't know where she went."

"When you see her, tell her I'm going to the lodge. I'll be back in a few days to accept whatever punishment the council deems fit for my crimes. Roman." Now he addressed his cousin, who wisely stayed far back but still within hearing distance. "If they decide on execution, rather than exile... Will you look after her?"

Roman simply nodded. He forced himself not to make eye contact with Ele. Everything about her eyes broke him. He had to turn away before he brought up the fact that she was his. He claimed her. But they all knew who she really belonged to.

While retreating, he saw Sandros emerge from the woods. He looked disheveled and that was a kind way of putting it. Blood caked his clothing, just not his own.

"I couldn't... I couldn't..." Sandros fell to his knees, thankful that his friends were now in sight and unharmed. Even though Roman stood the closest, he had a hard time making out the mumbles coming from his friend's mouth.