19 || flickering lights

"What the fuck?" Richie screeched.

"It's IT!" Bill shouted.

Loud gasps escaped from all of your lips as you hurriedly scrambled out of your seats, stumbling backward and grabbing onto the person closest to you. For you, it was Mike, who was standing beside you, his eyes wide as saucers and his mouth gaped open as he stared at the wall.

"What the fuck is that? What the fuck is that?" Richie hollered, terrified.

He grabbed onto Eddie's arm and pulled the smaller boy close to him, wrapping an arm around his shoulder to hold him tightly. Eddie held onto him just as firmly as he let out a scared whimper.

"I don't fucking know!" he yelled back hysterically.

"Turn it off! Turn it off!" Beverly demanded, her voice shrill.

"Yeah. Yeah, turn it off. Turn it off!" Richie echoed her words fearfully.

Mike swiftly moved from your side to kick over the projector, causing all of the cards inside to fall out. It landed slightly crooked on the floor, but was unfortunately still continuing to click away. This time, however, it clicked at a slower pace as it zoomed in to a blurry, distorted photo of the clown.

It clicked a total of four times before the clown completely disappeared from the frame. Then, you were abruptly plunged into a darkness that lasted for only a second before the lights turned back on with another click, and the eight of you were met with an absolutely horrific sight.

The top half of the clown's body appeared, and only the top half. Its torso protruded from the wall where the projector was showing. It was enormous and at least ten times larger than a normal human being. It bared its multiple rows of sharp, yellow teeth as it growled and everyone began screaming at the top of their lungs. All of you were crowded in a group and were backing away except for Stanley, who seemed to be frozen in place as he stared at the clown. It whipped its head toward him, letting out a deranged laugh.

"Run, Stanley!" you and Richie both shrieked in unison.

At your words, something in him seemed to snap, and he rushed over to you and the others as the room was repeatedly dipped in darkness. In its massive form, the clown began crawling out of the wall, charging toward you. Richie ran toward Stanley, grabbing him and pulling him toward the rest of you for protection.

The number one rule in any bad situation: safety came in numbers.

The lights went out again, and you instinctively grabbed someone's hand out of fear, not even realizing it in the moment. When the lights flashed back on, you saw that Mike had fallen onto the floor and Bill had Eddie's shirt sleeve in an iron grip in order to pull him to safety as the smaller boy fell backward onto the ground, his whole body shaking.

"What is it?" he yelled frantically.

The lights flickered on and off and the clown appeared again, aiming directly for Beverly as she backed away into the corner. Her shaky hands came up to shield her face from it as it speedily reached a large, menacing hand out to her. Its bright yellow eyes staring her down shined abnormally in the dimly lit garage.

"What the fuck?" The phrase seemed to be the only words etched into Richie's terror filled mind, and understandably so.

The garage was enshrouded in darkness once more, but only for a short amount of time. Your piercing screams were drowned out by the faint sound of the garage door being hurriedly slid open to reveal the sunny outdoors, a stark contrast to the inside of the garage.

And the clown was gone.

As quickly as the whole ordeal had begun, it had ended. Your heaving breathing filled the silence as you all took a moment to calm down and attempt to get your heart rate back to a normal pace. It was then that you were able to observe everyone else.

Next to you, Mike was grabbing his forearm, wincing at the pain from pulling up the garage door, and beside him was Ben, who was looking over at Beverly with worry. Bill was doing the same, and Richie and Eddie were standing close to one another, eyes darting around the garage in anticipation of the clown revealing itself again at any moment. And Stanley— with a jolt, you realized that Stanley was the one whose hand you'd grabbed in the midst of all the chaos.

He seemed to come to the same realization as he looked away from the blinding light outside to your intertwined hands, his eyes widening considerably. You hastily pulled your hand away in embarrassment and looked over at Mike instead.

"You okay?" you asked, and he nodded, offering you a halfhearted smile.

When you turned to look over at Beverly, she had begun walking over to the rest of you, placing a shaky hand on Ben's shoulder.

"Thanks, Ben."

She then walked over to Bill and pulled him into a tight hug.

"It saw us," Eddie whimpered, his voice trembling. "It saw us and it knows where we are."

"It always did," Bill said solemnly, before walking out of the garage and looking back at the rest of you. "So, let's go."

The seven of you still in the garage shared uneasy and confused looks.

"Go? Go where?" Ben asked, voicing the question that each of you had in your heads.

"Neibolt," Bill replied, as if it were obvious. "That's where G-G-Georgie is."

"After that?" Stanley said incredulously, and you nodded in agreement, making sure not to make accidental eye contact with him.

"Yeah, it's summer," Richie spoke up tentatively. "We should be outside."

"If you say it's summer one more f-f-fucking time..." Bill didn't finish his sentence, clearly agitated at the phrase being used repeatedly.

He seemed to give up on reasoning with you all and turned to grab his bike, jumping onto it in one swift movement before aggressively pedaling off.

"Bill!" Beverly shouted, hurrying out of the garage to call after him. "Wait!"

But he either didn't hear her or ignored her, turning the corner and disappearing from sight.