7 || unsolved mysteries

You all decided to go to Ben's house, where you'd be able to see more of the research he did on the history of Derry. Bill was the most eager to go, for obvious reasons, but, secretly, second on the list was you. For as long as you could remember, you'd been looking for an incentive to leave this godforsaken town. The only thing that had kept you from running away all these years was Beverly.

The seven of you entered through Ben's small front door with a little bit of pushing and shoving in your excitement to see the inside of his house. Ben immediately raced ahead of everyone else and darted up the stairs. Probably to declutter his room before you could see a mess, you concluded.

As you walked up the stairs, your eyes flitted around in all different directions examining the house. Behind you, bringing up the rear of the line of kids, Richie and Eddie were lost in their own world, having some odd conversation about who knows what.

You reached the top of the stairs and spotted Ben's open door. Beverly walked in first, followed by Bill, you, Stanley, and Richie and Eddie side by side.

"I heard he has. like, a roller coaster and, like, a pet chimp and an old guy's pile of bones," you heard Richie say, before he trailed off at the sight of Ben's room.

You drowned out everyone's voices and instead focused on the countless papers, photographs, and maps that were pinned and taped to the walls. Similar to how you had your posters in your bedroom, he had them covering the walls from ceiling to floor. Was this really what Ben had been planning on doing the entire summer before he met you guys? It was kind of sad, if you were being honest.

Turning around to face the others, you met Stanley's eyes first, and he gestured for you to come closer to see the paper on the wall that he was currently examining.

"What's that?" he asked Ben, pointing at it.

"Oh, that? That's the charter for Derry Township."

"Nerd alert," Richie snickered, adjusting his glasses.

"No, actually, it's really interesting," Ben said earnestly. "Derry started off as a beaver trapping camp."

"Still is, am I right, boys?" Richie held his hand up for a high five at his dumb joke.

Stanley shook his head disappointingly and you couldn't help but roll your eyes. Eddie just stared at him like he couldn't believe that Richie was a living, working human being.

"You can keep talking, Ben," you encouraged the boy, and he gave you a small appreciative smile.

"Ninety-one people signed the charter that made Derry, but, later that winter, they all disappeared without a trace," he explained.

"The entire camp?" Eddie asked in disbelief.

Ben nodded, and you could feel yourself getting slightly sick. The way he described it made it sound an awful lot like a mass murder to you, like the ones horror movies were made of. And the fact that it had happened in your very own hometown was enough to make you want to throw up.

"There were rumors of Indians but no sign of an attack," Ben continued. "Everybody just thought it was the plague or something. but it's like one day everybody just woke up and left. The only clue was a trail of bloody clothes leading to the well house."

There was complete silence for a moment— only a moment— before Richie broke it by saying, "Jesus, we could get Derry on unsolved mysteries!"

He, Eddie, and Stanley started a conversation on that topic, and you looked around the room, not interesting in taking part in it. You noticed that Bill was fidgeting with something in his hand.

"W-where was the well house?" he stuttered quietly.

"I don't know, somewhere in town, I guess," Ben replied. "Why?"

Bill said nothing, his eyes simply drifting over to look at the missing posters.