10 || bright yellow eyes

You spun around to stare at the horrifying creature behind you, only for it to have disappeared as quickly as you saw it. The only thing you could recall were its terrifying bright yellow eyes that you spotted in the mirror. The orbs themselves seemed to glow eerily in the dark, imprinting themselves in your brain. You tried to convince yourself that it was a figment of your imagination meant to frighten you in the late hours of the night.

You knew that you wouldn't be able to sleep any time soon because of that scare, so you decided to grab a glass of water to help calm your nerves. After pouring the liquid from the container into the glass, you turned to go to the living room when you collided with another body and nearly dropped your cup.

"I am sick and tired of this. Listen, Y/N, you need to understand that you're not the only one living in this house. You can't be in your own little world all the time."

Recognizing the scolding voice that you hadn't heard in ages, you looked up to see your mother's irritated face staring down at you, and you tried to plaster on a smile.

"Mom! I didn't know you were home, I didn't hear the door opening!" you exclaimed, your voice slightly scratchy from not speaking for a while. You took a sip of water and set the glass down on the counter.

"Well, like I said, you need to stop being in your own world all the time. Learn to be more aware of your surroundings." She rolled her eyes and heaved an annoyed sigh.

"I'm sorry," you apologized, your smile falling instantly. "But I'm glad you're home."

"Whatever," she spat harshly. "What did you get done today?"

"What? What do you mean?"

"What did you get done around the house?"

"I- I wasn't home all day," you said, confused.

"So you didn't get anything done?" she scoffed, clearly aggravated. "Not one thing?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't know—"

"I don't want to hear another word come out of your mouth right now. I don't even want to look at you," your mother snapped, her mouth twisting into a scowl and her eyes flashing violently. "Do you have any clue how embarrassing it is to even be related to you? You're such a pathetic excuse for a daughter!"

You felt tears spring into your eyes. Sure, you and your parents may not have had the best relationship, but you never would've thought that your mother would say such horrid things to you. You avoided her glare and stared at the ground.

"Mom, I'm sorry—"

"Sorry doesn't cut it. And sorry doesn't change the fact that you will never be enough."

Hurt by her words, you looked up into her eyes, and it was then that you noticed her eyes weren't their normal color. In fact, they looked strikingly similar to the bright yellow eyes she had seen earlier in the mirror. The bright yellow eyes that belonged to the clown.

Now, you could see it slowly morphing onto your mother's face, its yellow eyes out of place and its sharp crooked teeth making an ugly appearance. Splotches of white paint started to pop up on her face, and even her hair began to fade into the clown's vibrant red.

"You're n-not my mom," you sputtered out, taking a step back and stumbling.

The corners of its mouth curled into a huge terrifying grin. It spoke in the same distorted voice from before, back when you were in your parents' bedroom.

"I'm not?" the clown said in mock surprise. "I had no clue."

"Why are you here?" you demanded bravely. "What did you do to my mother? Where's my father?"

"Oh, Y/N/N, let's face it. You lost both of your parents a long, long time ago. You've been nothing but a burden to them for years, now."

"That's- that's not true," you argued quietly, not even believing the words yourself.

"But it is. Notice how they're never home? Do you know why? It's because they can't stand the sight of you. They're the reason why you didn't have a normal childhood. They're the reason why you cry yourself to sleep. And they're the reason why you're going to die tonight."

That last sentence snapped you out of your frightened trance, and you sprinted out of the kitchen as the clown's hands began transforming into long sharp claws. You stupidly tripped on the rug, which allowed it to catch up to you. It sliced its left claw through the air, aiming for your leg, but you withdrew it just in time.

You ran toward the front door and flung it open, rushing outside and attempting to shut it behind you. While you were struggling against the clown's abnormal strength keeping the door open, it reached out its claw and dug deep into your arm, creating a nasty cut that would undoubtedly scar.

Biting your lip to hold back a painful scream, you used all of your strength to kick the door closed. It worked, and the claw retreated back into the house as the door loudly slammed shut.

Breathing heavily, you took a few steps toward the dim street lamppost, cradling your injured forearm. You could taste the metallic blood in your mouth from biting your lip so hard, and when you looked down, you saw scarlet blood steadily seeping out of your cut.

Then, you collapsed onto the grass and passed out.