8 || the long way home

"Um, I should probably be getting home now," Beverly spoke up, slightly uncomfortable with the atmosphere. "It's getting late."

"I-I can w-walk you," Bill offered sweetly. "I mean, o-only if you w-want me to."

You didn't miss the scowl that momentarily appeared on Ben's face as Beverly beamed. Her smile faltered, though, when she looked over at you.

"Well, actually, Y/N and I usually walk home together," she explained. "But thanks anyway."

"Oh no, no, no, it's okay!"  you insisted. "I can walk home by myself! It's not even dark yet."

"But then I'd feel bad about leaving you," Beverly protested.

You were about to fight her (because there was no way you'd be ruining the chance for her and Bill to be alone with each other) when a soft voice spoke up, making your heart skip a beat.

"I can walk with her."

Everyone turned to look at Stanley, who was in the corner anxiously fidgeting with the watch on his wrist. He directed his next words to you.

"Only if you don't want to be alone."

You could feel Beverly's excited stare on you as your face warmed up, and you ignored her, nodding.

"Sure," you managed to say.

"Eddie, R-R-Richie, are you guys coming t-too?" Bill asked.

"No, thank you, Sir Billiam," Richie shook his head dramatically, talking in his horrible British accent. "Eddie Spaghetti and I shall spend some quality time with our dear pal, Lady Bennifer."

"Wow, those are some big words, trashmouth," you teased. "I feel like a proud mom."

"Well, Lady y/n, if you're my mother, then that means my father must be Sir Sta-"

"Okay, let's go now!" Stanley loudly interrupted him, taking your hand in his and swiftly walking past Richie out of the room.

"Thanks for inviting us, new kid," Beverly grinned before leaving with Bill.

"Oh, uh, it was no problem, I didn't really have plans anyway- well, I mean, I- I did, but I was- I was just gonna read and- yeah, it was no problem," Ben sputtered out long after she left, causing Richie to snicker.

"Looks like we found ourselves another Bill," he muttered to Eddie, who let out a loud snort.

"I guess we'll see you guys later, then," Beverly said once the four of you were outside. With a wave, she and Bill left, heading in the direction of her apartment.

"So, uh, which way's your house?" Stanley questioned.

"There are two ways, actually. The long way and the short way," you explained. "I'm guessing that you want to go the short way?"

Stanley shrugged. "Let's go the long way."

"Wait, really?" you asked, surprised, thinking that he'd have wanted to get rid of you as soon as possible.

"Yeah, sure, why not?"

The two of you began walking in awkward silence, and you racked your brain for a conversation starter.

"So, uh, Richie! He's certainly something."

"Yeah, you could say that," Stanley sighed exasperatedly. "I've had to deal with him every single day since elementary. At least you got a break."

You let out a laugh, which, in return, made him smile.

"He was slightly less annoying back then, from what I remember. Although, I do recall coming to school one day in second grade and sitting down only to see 'I LOVE RICHIE TOZIER' written in bright black marker on my desk."

"Wait, really? He did that to my desk too!"

From there on out, the conversation flowed surprisingly smoothly. You found something to bond over, which made talking to Stanley so much easier. You could not stop laughing, feeling so comfortable and relaxed with him. It definitely helped that you had taken the long way too. It gave you more time to reminisce about your past and criticize your present.

"Oh, and then he pulled down his pants in front of the whole cafeteria!"

"Oh my gosh, don't remind me, I think I'll be scarred for life because of that!"

Stanley laughed, and you could've sworn you felt your heart burst just at the sound. As you neared the small one story house that you called home, you sighed contentedly.

"Well, I guess this is it," you said, not quite wanting to say goodbye yet.

"Yeah," he nodded. "This was... nice. Walking together."

"Maybe we could do it again sometime?" you asked, bracing yourself for rejection.

"Again?" he repeated, his voice sounding pleasantly surprised at your question. "Yeah, I'd like that. I'd like that a lot, actually."

"Okay," you said, smiling so wide that you felt your cheeks hurt. "Bye, Stanley. Get home safe, please."

"Bye, Y/N. Don't worry, I will."

You left his side, walking up to your front door and using your key to unlock it. When you turned back around before entering, you saw that Stanley was right where you'd left him on the sidewalk. He waved at you all smiley and happy, and your stomach did somersaults as you waved back.

What a great idea to have taken the long way home.

—————

Hello everyone! I wanted to say a quick thank you for 2k reads! I know that it's not a lot, but it means the world to me!