¹³

.* TRUTH OR DARE

Disclaimer: The Kenny mentioned in this fanfic is NOT the Kenny from AOT. I needed a name that the mom could call the dad and Kenny was the first thing to pop up.

THERE was a painfully quiet atmosphere as you walked to the single cushioned chair separated from where your parents were sitting. Your dad sat down on the sofa where your mom also sat but she moved over a little so she wouldn't be so close to him.

He inhaled deeply before letting it all out with an exasperated sigh. He rubbed his hands together, leaning forward so he was arched over, "So, there's nothing I can really say that'll make you not hate me. I —um—I just wanted to get away from everything."

Your ears perked up, "Get away from everything? Does he mean us?"

He continued, "When you were born," he pointed to you, "I was so happy and excited but I was also afraid. Afraid that I wouldn't meet the expectations of being a good father to you. So, I wanted to leave. No, that's not the right way to say it. I wanted to run away. Far away from my responsibilities. That's when I made a plan. I had a friend in the police department who I asked to help fake my death. I'm so sorry for not being here. There's no amount of words that I can say for you to forgive me. I knew that before coming here. However, I want to be in your life if you let me."

He was right about one thing; there was nothing he could say to make you forgive him for being a coward. For being so fucking selfish. You noticed that while he was talking it was always what he wanted or what he thought. He never even considered the state your mother would be in after his disappearance. You despised him for this. You looked at your Mom, a shimmer of hope in her eyes. You knew she was considering his proposal. You couldn't blame her for missing her late husband who she believed to be dead after seventeen years. She was zoned out, staring at the coffee table.

You stood up and tapped her shoulder, making her become aware of her surroundings again. She sighed and spoke with a softness in her voice, "Kenny, I don't know what to say. Why couldn't you just talk to me about all this? I was so lonely. I had to do everything by myself. How could you?"

As much as you despised him, you needed a father figure in your life. You looked over at him, "I do want you in my life but I can't easily forgive you. What you did was selfish and I hate you for it."

He nodded slowly, agreeing with you. He stood up and opened his arm for a hug, but you just stood there with your jaw clenched, a disgusted face that he thought you even wanted him to touch you. It was already bad enough that he was in your house. He put his arms down, taking it as a sign you were serious about hating him, "Where the hell were you this whole time?"

He opened his mouth to speak but you just shoved him, making him stumble, "I needed a father and you were out there pretending to be dead!"

Your mom stood up and held you back but he attested, "It's fine, Angela. I understand her anger."

"No, I don't think you do. My mom raised me all on her own and you were doing what? Living a happy life without us? What made you come here now after all this time, huh? Do you want something from us?"

His eyes widened, gulping and shaking his head, "I would sit in front of the house watching you both sometimes. I slowly saw you grow up."

You turned away, remembering that time you made out with Jean in his car outside your house. You became slightly embarrassed thinking about how he may have seen that. You rolled your eyes, "Whatever. Mom, you can deal with this deadbeat."