𝟒𝟑. 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃

𝐖𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 car rides with your friends were fun, were completely right, except for the circumstances we were in at the moment. With the sun blasting through the windows, the AC barely keeping us cool, and a dwindling fear that your boyfriend will come for your best friend, the car ride was less than exciting. 

"Good news for the residents of Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area should be functional within 24 hours," The newscaster informed as the wail of sirens drove by, which easily tensed my body. 

Letting out a sigh, I pushed my head back as the radio continued on. "And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from--" I shut the radio off in an outburst of anger. 

"Let's game this out," JJ said from the backseat as I twisted around, the soft glow from the sun reflecting through the windshield of the car. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but..." He sighed, "Who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?"

"You know what I'm gonna say," I replied to him softly as Kie wiped the sweat off of her forehead. 

"So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is... pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment," JJ continued as John B closed his eyes softly. 

"Thanks," He muttered as Pope sighed from the backseat. 

"Shit..." 

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" JJ opposed as I shared a glance with Kie. 

The truth was: we had no other option. We had no clue what to do and no idea how to save our friend from a false accusation of murder. We were stuck, uncomfortable, and optionless. 

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit," John B snapped, "Sarah will bail me out,"

"She did witness the whole thing," Kie reminded us. 

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope asked as I bit my thumbnail aggressively. 

"Not happening bro, okay," JJ answered as he blew out a puff from his joint. "We gotta get you off the island,"

"The ferry," I spoke up, "It's the only way,"

"Y/n's right. Exit stage left while you still can before the entire island is o lockdown," He agreed as sirens drove down the street again. 

"Guys, just get down," I whispered as all five of us sunk into our seats, trying to stay out of sight. 

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B," Pope told him truthfully. We had no clue if she would help us, and betray her brother. I knew he still had hope, but honestly, we haven't known her long enough to fully count on her like this. 

"You can't stay here, seriously, it's gonna get worse if you don't leave soon," I said as I pushed my hair behind my ears, glancing at the boys through the rearview mirror. 

Soon enough, we knew our only option was to find a ferry that would take John B, and the earliest time it would leave. I stood with Pope by the docks, a large, green billboard in front of us. "You gotta be kidding me," I said to him as we both stared at the 'FERRY CLOSED' sign. 

"That's not the worse part," Pope muttered back as he reached for the wanted post that featured a black and white image of John B. Ripping the paper off of the wood, we headed back to the car where John B was hiding with JJ and Kie. "Okay. all right, oh God," He muttered as we walked back.