𝟑𝟑. 𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐄 𝐎𝐍 𝐌𝐘 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑 𝐆𝐀𝐕𝐄 off an eerie creak, only making our hearts race faster as we stepped inside the old house, trying to stay as quiet as possible. The old house was dark and dusty, to say the least. Bookshelves lined the sides of the room while a table was pushed off to the side with a small vase of slowly decaying flowers that were perched on top.

The only light source, other than the flashlight, was the full moon streaming through a window across the room. It felt as if every step we made was echoing through the house and every second that passes was a second that we were still alive and breathing.

A cat yowled from across the room as it scampered away and pass a few unknown objects made of class. Kie pointed towards the wire from before, which was now at the top of a baby blue wall with ridges. Following the wire, we rounded a corner and found the circuit box bolted into the wall with a couple of switches inside.

The three of us chuckled softly as Kie carefully pressed one of the switches, sending a small click through the house. Pressing the one beneath it, the same click sounded, but it was followed by the generator powering off. Parts of the house went darker if that was even possible, and I knew that the lights outside were out.

A large whirling sound rang from a clock across the room as it donged multiple times, signalling that it had hit a certain hour. The three of us gasped as we pressed our backs against the walls, shutting off the flashlight in the process. "Are we--" Before I could finish, the sound of a cane or footsteps pounded from the upper floor and I realized that we had just woken her up.

The sound of her shuffling around, drowned out the sounds of her coughing and wheezing as she came down the stairs. "It's-- it's late, Leon," She croaked as the thumping got louder and closer than before. A pressed my hand over my mouth, hoping to quiet by shaky breaths as Sarah tried to see around the corner without giving too much over herself away. "Too late," She coughed and my hands began shaking worse.

Ms. Crain rounded the corner and shuffled past us as we tried not to make a sound; and that's when it clicked. She was blind. "I can hear you, Leon," She shouted aloud as I tried to press myself farther into the wall. Sarah let out a soft whimper as she continued, "I've been waiting all night!" In one quick motion, Sarah's flashlight beamed on and Ms. Crain turned to face us.

I had never seen her up close, and I will probably have nightmares after this. Her hair was short and mixed with patches of grey and white, while her face was old and wrinkly. But her eyes, they were horrifying: they were completely white with a small sliver of blue around the edges, fading away as the years came.

Sarah screamed loudly as I pushed both of the younger girls away from her, yelling "Go!" as I did so. Our shoes stamped across the wooden floors as we ran into another room, trying to get away from her before she tried to kill us.

Kie pushed another door opened as Ms. Crain screamed for Leon, which I realized was Mr. Crain. I ran after Kie while Sarah stayed in the first room, trying to see if there was any other door we missed before. The two of us stopped in front of a large wooden door that was blocked off with planks of wood nailed across the opening. "Shit," I panted as Kie tried to unlock the door and pry it open.

Ms. Crain rounded the corner, a fire poker in her hand, and both of us froze. She lifted the poker above her head and swung at us, only for her to miss as we tried to rush away from the sound of it clattering against a table. Plates smashed as she screeched towards us, still swinging the fire poker towards us.

Before she could swing it again, this time directly at us, Sarah rounded the corner and grabbed it from her hands before throwing it to the floor. Kie and I both rushed after her, trying to find a way out of this hell hole she called home. We raced into the room from earlier as we slammed the door shut behind us, our heavy breaths filling the small room.