𝟐𝟕. 𝐀𝐗𝐄 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐑, 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘?

𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐖𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐕𝐄𝐃 at Battery Jasper, we walked over to the ledge and looked out over Outer Banks, hoping to find anything relevant to our search. I stood on a few large stones which had broken off of an old stone wall that surrounded the premises. "We're in Batter, right here," Pope told us as he pointed to the map, "So if this is parcel nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here,"

"Somewhere over there," I said as I pointed into the distance and off to the left a bit.

"Over there?" JJ questioned, "Guy's, that's not Tannyhill, that's a subdivision," He told us and I sighed.

"JJ, Tannyhill Plantation was the entire island. From what I've heard it got sold into smaller pieces over time," I told him and he nodded slowly, realizing that I was right.

"So we're just looking for an old stone wall," Pope told us, and soon enough, we were back in the van, driving down a long dirt road. "Okay, so the road should split up here," He orders as he held the map in his hands, pointing out directions for John B. "All right, you're gonna take a left,"

A few seconds later, we parked the car in front of a stone wall, and JJ stupidly pointed out that I was a stone wall. Somedays I worry about him, and today was one of those days. "Not the Crain house," John B muttered as we all filed out of the van, leaving it parked on the side of the road.

"Why'd it have to be here..." I shook my head, "Of all places,"

"I heard that Mrs. Crain buried her husband's head on the property," JJ commented, and I wasn't sure if he was trying to freak us out, but it was definitely working. We walked through the gate quietly, hoping not to wake anyone or anything in the house.

"Honestly, I don't really believe the stories of this place," John B admitted but was quickly shushed by Pope. JJ walked up to Kie and me, asking what stories we've heard.

"Well, mainly the one where she killed her husband with an axe, and that she's been held up ever since. On certain nights, when the moon is full, you can see her through the window," She mocked and I held back a laugh, not wanting to draw attention to us.

"No, guys, it's not funny 'cause it's all true," JJ tried to convince us, "I swear to God, guys, this is all real. I knew Hollis," He explained and I rolled my eyes.

"You knew the daughter of the crazy lady who killed her husband with an axe. How are you still alive," I joked and he shoved me lightly.

"Dude, how do you know Hollis Crain?" Pope asked in a more serious tone.

"She was my babysitter, man. She told me all about it. Told me the truth... about her mother," JJ exaggerated and I was ready to tell him to quit being so dramatic, but at the same time, I was interested. "And what happened in this house. So as a kid, she heard all the stories that her mother killed her father, and she was a murderer and all. Hollis didn't believe it, until that night,"

"What night?" I said a bit too quickly and if JJ wasn't in the midst of a scary and suspense-filled story, he would've smirked at me.

"It all came back to her. When Hollis was six-years-old, she heard her parents arguing downstairs. So she goes downstairs to see her mom washing her hands in a sink... full of blood. Her mother just says that she cut her finger," JJ said and as I looked around the group, I could tell that they were all as freaked out as I was.

"The next morning, she says her father and her split up. But then, Hollis noticed something. Her mother going into the parlour constantly, in and out and in and out with plastic bags. Weeks pass and Hollis decides to use the outhouse. And as she's using it, she looks down, and there, in the outhouse, is her father's head looking straight back at her," JJ finished.