𝟐𝟑. 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓

𝐈 𝐒𝐄𝐓 𝐌𝐘 drink down on the table as I ran towards him, hugging him tightly. "You're okay," I whispered as I pulled away and he finally realized who it was.

"Holy y/n-- you look..." He said speechless and I laughed.

"Whatever. There's something I need to tell you and you can't get mad at me," He hesitated but nodded nonetheless. "I'm dating Rafe," I confessed, "And before you say anything, he's not a completely bad guy, yes I scolded him about both fights, and I really, really like him," I babbled, letting out a small breath when I was finished.

JJ was silent and honestly, that's been most of the reactions I've gotten today. "Okay," JJ said after a second, and I was taken back, "Just don't forget about us, and don't go full Kook without us," I wrapped my arms around him again, thanking him quietly.

"Thank you for understanding," I pulled away and he gave me a salute, "And I think you should stop by Pope and Kie, they've been worried,"

"Sure, I've just gotta deliver a message," He waved goodbye and walked towards the dance floor. "And also, we're gonna have a mandatory power hour at Rixon's," He called before he left my sight.

I chuckled softly as I sat down in one of the cushioned chairs, taking a minute for myself. I fixed a strap on my dress as a lady around the age of sixty, seventy, sat down next to me. "Hello, dear," She said with a smile and I recognized her as Ms. Abbot.

"Hi, Ms. Abbot," I acknowledged, "Are you enjoying the party?"

"Oh very much," She smiled sweetly, "I saw you and the oldest Cameron boy walk in together, you two look very cute together," She told me and I smiled since she wasn't being rude or judgemental about it. "I'm not surprised, a beautiful young lady like yourself should have a man by her side for support,"

"Thank you, really, it means a lot," I appreciated the compliment because she didn't say 'by their side'. She meant that every strong, independent girl, didn't need a man by her side, but could have one to support her, instead.

"You should hold on to him, trust me, it's the best decision you'll ever make," She said as she looked towards her husband who was holding a drink and talking to another man.

"Have you been in my shoes before?" I asked genuinely, wanting to know her story.

"Of course, dear. I had a Rafe of my own," She looked back at me, eyes soft and caring.

"How did you two meet?" I asked her as I crossed my legs, intrigued.

"Well, I was eighteen, just like you, and a Pogue, just like you," She started as she relived the memory.

"You were a Pogue?" I asked amazed, not expecting Ms. Abbot to have lived in The Cut.

"Oh yeah. I worked at the Rock-A-Fella Diner before it became Shelly's Diner. It was the summer of sixty-nine, and I had a regular shift on the first day of summer break," She explained, "I remember the exact moment I saw Barry. I was wiping down the counter when he and his buddies walked in. The only thing different back then were the outfits. He had a leather jacket since those were the big thing, even though it was a hundred degrees outside" She chuckles softly.

"He walked through the door and instantly, our eyes met. It felt as if a rush ran through my entire body and I was completely scared. I had never felt that way about someone, especially a Kook, and if my friends found out, they wouldn't let it slide. So I did what anyone would do, I took their order and prayed that I wouldn't make a fool out of myself.

"But, I did. I had slipped on a fallen ice cube and spilled their milkshakes everywhere. It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my entire life, but instead of helping me, he called me a Pogue. I helped myself up and walked away while someone else cleaned the mess. But instead of giving up and leaving, I changed and went back out with new milkshakes. And as I left, I could tell that I had caught his eye.