𝟒𝟒. 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍𝐒

𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘, 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐉𝐎𝐇𝐍 𝐁 was, he was somewhat safe; I hoped. From the deathly-long hour that I have been stuck behind the driving wheel, as well as a blunt alit in the backseat, I couldn't help but worry about my best friend. 

The fact that Ward was obviously lying about this whole situation infuriated me, and even though the group hadn't mentioned it, I could tell that they felt the same. 

Where would he even go? I mean, there was no place that he would be safe in the Outer Banks, especially when the rest of the town wants his head on a stake. 

"Y/n!" Kie screamed as she grabbed the steering wheel, swerving us away from the tree we were about to crash into. 

"Shit, my bad," I muttered as I refocused on the task at hand; driving. 

"You know what? Pullover," She said as the boys laughed loudly in the backseat, high off their asses. 

"I'm fine Kie, I promise," I told her but she still disagreed. Pulling the car over to the right, I put it in park as she got out of the passenger seat. Climbing over the middle console, I could see Kie rolling her eyes as she reaches the driver's seat. 

"You're clearly too deep in your thoughts to be driving, so this is just going to keep us safer," She explained as I pulled my knee into my chest and tucked the other under my thigh, now sitting in the back with JJ, while Pope moved up to the front. 

"Yeah, and keep us alive," JJ added with a snort as a small puff of smoke passed through his lips. 

"Zip it, JJ," Kie snapped as she put the car back into drive and pulled away from the side of the road. 

"Mama's mad," He added, in which Pope laughed under his breath. 

"So, where are we headed?" Pope questioned as he passes the blunt back, but I quickly rejected. Retracting his hand, he passes it back to JJ as we rounded a corner. 

"Somewhere they wouldn't think to look," Kie answered as we continued down the dirt path. 

Resting my head against the cold window, I could feel my eyes closing softly– which was the last thing I wanted. 

Every time I closed my eyes, I was sucked into a dream. A dream that was fake and unrealistic, even though I badly wanted it to become real. It was simple, nothing too intricate that my mind would easily forget it when I would reopen my eyes. 

It was before everything was complicated. When things were incomplex and transparent; when it was just me and Rafe. 

His hand brushing against my cheek, his warmth spreading through my body, his lips against mine. Everything that wasn't so complicated now. The feeling of relief when I could feel his body against my back, his blue eyes lighting up when he smiled, the way I felt whole and in-sync whenever we were near. 

Something I could never get back, not even now. 

"Yo, wake up," JJ shoved as the car halted to a stop. Bolting awake, I didn't even realize I had passed out that deeply. 

"Where are we?" I questioned as I raised my hands above my head, feeling my entire body stretch. 

"Sarah Camerons," Kie answered as she got out of the car. 

"Wait, what?" I questioned as I turned to face the open window next to me. "You're serious?"

"Just be perfectly focused," Pope muttered to himself, completely ignoring my question, which wasn't much of a question since we were already here.