𝟑. 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐒

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐒 𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐃 against the HMS Pogue, the boat that John B owned and all five of us used daily. Kie, JJ, Pope, John B, and I all laughed and talked to one another while we glided through the marsh, changing channels every once and a while.

Before we continue, I feel like I should introduce my group.

First, we have John B. The surfer, the fisher, the all-in-one nice guy. John B's dad went missing at sea almost a year ago and he hasn't heard anything since. I met the boy I call family through my dad, and I thank him every day for it. He's a smart kid that cares too much but will drop his gloves in an instant. I always scold him about his grades, knowing that he could do so much better in school if he tried. Although he's stubborn, he knows that he's using it in a good way.

Next, we have JJ. I met JJ through John B, and he always crashed at my place when necessary and I never minded. He's one of my closest friends, and I have no clue why; we're complete opposites. While I'm working shifts at the country club, he's getting to fights and trying his best to stay out of the police station. The boy has the best heart and honestly, he's my favourite boy in the group; don't tell John B or Pope. He can get out of any situation easily and one of the best surfers I have ever seen.

After, we have Pope. I met Pope back when I was 13 and I instantly had a liking towards him. He always stuck up for his friends, even though half of the people I knew could snap him like a twig. He's the brains of the operation, a finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship, and the smartest person I know. He's a little bit of a weirdo, but his father's this legendary character, Heyward. Anything you wanted on the island, Heyward could get for you. But none-the-less, he was a Pouge, just like the rest of us.

Finally, we have Kiara or Kie, as we call her. She's the eco of the group. When not saving turtles, or listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. The boys don't understand why she hangs out with us, but I know it's because all the Kooks are well... Kooks. Her family owns The Wreck, this Outer Banks institution, total cash cow with the tourists. She's my girl, and nothing will change that.

We drove through the water as JJ stood at the front, waterfalling beer into his mouth. It sprayed everywhere but the target, dripping down my arm as I shielded myself. Suddenly the boat lurched forwards, throwing everyone forwards and out of their seats. JJ sailed through the air, splashing loudly in the water, slowly floating to the surface a second later.

"Is everyone okay?" John B asked as he pushed off of the ground, while everyone, including myself, moaned in response. I pushed my, now, messy hair behind my head and cracked my back, trying to steady my feet.

"JJ, you good," I called, noticing the blond mop of hair in the water.

He groaned, "I think my heels touched the back of my head," He coughed a bit before swimming back to the boat slowly. "Pope, what'd ya do?"

"The channel changed," Pope replied as he picked his hat off of the ground, "That's gonna mess this whole place up,"

"No shit," I mumbled as Pope walked past me and to the front of the boat. While JJ boasted about the beer that he miraculously saved, Pope stared into the water and I could tell that it wasn't just the sandbar he was focused on. "What'd you see?"

"I think there's a boat down there," He said loud enough for the rest of the group to hear. I followed his pointed finger and sure enough, I could just barely see the top of a sunken boat. Kie and John B moved over to us while JJ looked through the water, even though he wouldn't be able to see it from there. "You think there's a dead body down there, y/n?" Pope asked me nervously, still looking over the edge.