𝟑𝟎. 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐔𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐄𝐗𝐂𝐈𝐓𝐄𝐃

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 had an unbearable heat to it, making sweat beads roll down my forehead as Pope and I drove towards Kie's place. I sat at the front in a pair of blue shorts and a pastel orange bikini top, along with my bag that was laying by my feet. "Code red," I called out to Kie as she speed-walked towards the end of her dock.

"What the hell is going on?" She exclaimed as she used the railing to get down the small set of wooden stairs. I leaned back against my hands as Pope stopped the boat.

"Okay, JJ and John B conked out in the marsh," Pope lied, "They need a tow," She climbed aboard the SMS Pogue and placed her hands on her hips, skeptically.

"Uh, okay, well, what does that have to do with me?" She asked and I sighed as I moved to my feet.

"We need you for mechanical," I answered and she rolled her eyes. I could easily tell that she was hesitant about the situation, but at the same time, a Pogue never leaves another Pogue stranded.

"Mechanical," She scoffed as Pope started the boat back up again and we started our journey to find JJ and John B. "So what's the plan today, after we get John B and JJ?" Kie asked and I gave a look to Pope, not thinking she would ask more questions.

"Uhhh..." He stretched as he thought of an excuse. "Surfing,"

"Surfing?" I questioned and he shot me a sharp glare.

"Surfing," He emphasized as he looked towards Kie, flashing her an innocent smile. "Wow, is it just me, or is it really hot," He commented, hoping to change the subject quickly.

"Hot as balls," I added and Kie chuckled softly as she sat down next to me. "Sorry for the intense wake-up call," I apologized, remembering the fact that both Pope and I called her and told her that we had an emergency. I'm guessing it was probably not the best way to wake up.

"It's cool, but next time, I suggest not screaming because I'll never get the hearing back in my left ear," She joked and I smiled brightly.

"Noted," I replied as a large boat appeared in the distance. "John B and JJ are up in the Alp," I told her as we both stood up and made our way towards Pope who was pulling up to the boat.

"Can't you guys do anything without me?" Kie asked slightly annoyed but nonetheless, stood up onto the ledge and climbed onto the bigger boat. Once she was out of our sight, Pope backed the boat up and put it at a far enough distance that nobody unwanted could jump back on.

"Go, go, go, go!" I could hear JJ yell as he ran towards the edge of the boat and dove into the water, with John B behind him. The boys laughed as they swam towards Pope and me, knowing their plan had worked.

"Are you serious?" Sarah exclaimed as both girls ran towards the back of the boat.

"Are you joking?" Kie continued as she ran a hand through her hair angrily. "Get your asses back here!" She demanded but John B shrugged.

"We can't," He called back as he sat on the edge of the boat, water dripping off of his body. "Not till you two figure it out,"

"I will kill every single one of you!" She continued and I chuckled to myself.

"There's food in the cabin, and JJ rolled a blunt," I yelled at them and JJ patted me on the back.

"Hydroponic!" He added as he gave a thumbs up to the girls.

"Y/n! Seriously?" Sarah called and I waved softly.

"No hurt feelings, but you two need to work out your issues," I answered and I could see both girls frown. "Go, go, go," I told Pope as I saw Sarah getting ready to chase after us.

"Godspeed," Pope laughed as the boat pushed forwards and both girls disappeared from our sight.

"Love you guys! Bye!" JJ hollered as we left them in the dust. Turning to face us, he asked, "Now what?"

"Well, I don't know about you," I grabbed my bag off of the ground and moved towards Pope, "I have a date, so if you could drop me off at Hurlints Dock, that would be appreciated,"

All three boys booed loudly, "I still can't believe you're dating that douchebag," JJ commented and I placed my hand on my hips, annoyed.

"He's not a douchebag, you guys just have some man feud that will never be solved," I shot back and Pope agreed softly. "So, once again, Hurlints Dock, please,"

"I still don't like that guy," JJ mumbled as Pope drove faster through the marsh.

I had been home for a few hours, just trying to get ready for the date. You could say that I was ecstatic that I got to spend time with Rafe, but at the same time, I've been freaking out over my outfit choices. The breeze from a small fan circulated around my room as I flattened the light blue floral-cami sundress that I had found in my closest, after an hour of searching.

I adjusted the heel of my white vans and stared at myself in my mirror, quickly tucking a strand of hair behind my ear as a knock sounded from the front door. "Coming," I hollered before shutting the door to my room, a purse in my hand.

I pulled open the front door and standing in front of me was Rafe with a small smile and a few flowers. "Woah..." He mumbled as he stared at me dumbstruck, "Uh... Suprise?" Grinning, he handed me the flowers. I took a whiff of the daisies and sighed softly.

I held open the door for him, allowing him to come in while I put the flowers away in a vase. "They're beautiful," I complimented as I filled an antique with water and dropped the flowers inside with a minimal amount of water splashing. "Thank you,"

"I have the best day planned for us," Rafe bragged as he leaned against the counter, resting his chin onto his hands.

"Is that so?" I questioned as I leaned against the other side of the counter, a few inches away from his face. He nodded softly before closing the distance between us and pecking my lips softly. "Ready to go?" I asked as I pulled away and he gave a small hum of agreement.

I shuffled around the counter and adjusted the strap of my purse before Rafe followed me outside and into his truck. He moved into the driver's seat and waited until I was buckled in to back away from my house and merge onto the road.

"Are you going to tell me about this amazing date because the suspense is killing me," I exaggerated as he switched the radio's channel.

"Meh... It's a surprise," He shrugged and I groaned as I leaned back in the seat. "You'll have to wait and be surprised," Rafe added as he laid his right hand on my bare thigh, sending butterflies in my stomach.

The car sped down a long stretch of freshly paved road, signaling that we were in the Kook quadrants of the Outer Banks. Upbeat music played through the radio on a low volume, which mixed with the daze I had while staring out the window. I never really noticed how there were fewer trees in Figure Eight, but then again, they needed room for new houses.

"We're here," Rafe announced as he pulled into the parking lot of a brightly lit building. Not sure where we were, I hesitantly got out of the car and closed the door behind me.

"Where is here, exactly?" I questioned as he held out his hand for me to take. I took his hand as he intertwined our fingers, and led me towards the front doors.