Chapter 1: Energy

"Harmony!" The sound of my mother's loud voice wakes me up out of my deep sleep, "You better not still be in that bed."

I instantly jump out of bed and run to the bathroom. One thing for sure and two things for certain, my mama don't play. I go on my phone and play my 'Oldies but Goodies' playlist. After I place my phone on the window sill next to the shower, I put my shower cap on and get into the shower. As 'I Wanna Love You' by Donell Jones floods the bathroom, I begin to wash up. I sing along to the beautiful words that flow out of Donell's mouth. After listening to two more songs, I get out of the shower and dry off. I lotion up my body before I brush my teeth. I then head to my room to get dressed. I throw on a simple pair of black leggings, a white hoodie, some plain black socks, and my white Nike slides. I then style my hair into the pineapple bun and spray some perfume on.

"Harmony," I hear my mother's voice again.

"Coming," I grab my bookbag and walk out of my room.

I walk down the hall and into the kitchen. I grab me a banana nut muffin and a bottle of orange juice.

"You ready?" My mom looks at me.

"Yeah," I reply.

My mom grabs her bag and keys and we head to the car. Getting in the car, I put my seatbelt on and begin to eat my muffin.

"I better not find no crumbs in my car either or you're cleaning it out."

"Mama, you eat in here all the time. Probably got thousands of crumbs already in here."

"And," she looks at me for a second before turning her eyes back onto the road, "it's my car. I'll do what I want in it."

"Whatever you say ma," I shake my head at her logic.

"Little girl don't get smacked," she laughs.

"You love me too much to hit me."

"The lies you tell. You know I don't mind bringing Lucky out on yo ass."

I laugh at the nickname that my mom gave her leather belt. The rest of the car ride to school is spent in a comfortable silence. My mom pulls in front of the building and I grab my bookbag and get out.

"Bye ma, I love you."

"Harmony hold on," she calls before I can walk away.

"Yes?" I walk closer to the car.

"I'm going to be home late tonight, so don't worry about cooking just get you something to eat, I'll get myself something," she leans closer to the passenger side so I can hear her better.

"Ok, I love you."

"I love you too."

I walk away from the car and head into Maddox High School. I enter the school and am surrounded by many different voices. Pushing through the crowd, I make my way to my locker.

"Hey chocolate drop," my best friend Nzuri says coming up to me.

"Hey Zu-zu," I say back to her.

"Girl, I've missed you," she leans against the locker next to mines.

"You saw me Friday," I laugh at her.

"Yeah but you deal with my brother's nasty ass friends for two days and you'd miss me too."

"How was Kari's sleepover?" I shut my locker.

"Girl," she holds my shoulders, "they really became the human form of birth control for me. I mean it's already bad enough with Askari ass, but add other people kids to the mix."