Chapter 8: Recognize

"Wow," Axel says as Nzuri finally finishes my hair, "it looks beautiful on you."

"Thank you," both Nzuri and I say.

"Bitch, he was talking to me," I look at her.

"Don't make me cut the shit out."

"Y'all are funny," Axel laughs at us.

"We dead ass serious," Nzuri says.

"Shut up," I roll my eyes, "but it's late and we got school in the morning, you should head home."

"Or I could stay here," Axel says.

"No the fuck you can't," my mom's voice is heard.

"Well, I guess I better go then," Axel stands up.

"Yeah, sorry about that," I walk him to the door.

"It's ok, I'll see you tomorrow," Axel walks to his car.

"Text me and let me know that you made it home safely."

"I will."

Axel gets into his car and drives off. I close the door and head back to the couch.

"You ready for bed," I ask Nzuri, but she's too into her phone to notice, "Zuzu. Zuzu!"

"Huh," she quickly turns her head towards me.

"Are you ok?"

"Oh, yeah, sorry, I was daydreaming."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm good."

"You know that you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know. I just got to figure some things out before I tell you."

"Ok," I say, understanding completely, "let's go to bed."

We walk to my room and change into our pajama's. We get into my bed and wait for sleep. Just before sleep takes over my body, I get a message on my phone. I look and see that's it from Axel. Being so sleepy, I just send an emoji and instantly fall asleep.

Headache: I'm home

My Fav Girl: 🥰

"I Ain't Get No Sleep Cuz Of Y'all, Y'all Not Gone Get No Sleep Cuz of Me," my mama stands at my bedroom door banging pots together.

"Ok, ok," I sit up, "I'm up."

"Damn, mama, you ain't had to do all that," Nzuri sits up beside me.

"I told yo ass about that cussing," my mama takes her shoe and throws it at Nzuri, "now hurry up. It's almost time for school."

"You can get in the shower first," I say to Nzuri.

"Ok," Nzuri gets up and walks to the bathroom across the hall.

I stretch and get out of my bed and walk to the kitchen. I make me a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. As I eat, I decide to get on my phone. I look through the messages that I have and then a message catches my eye. I look at the emoji, I sent to Axel last night and begin to cough, slightly choking on my food.

"Harmony, are you ok?" my mom rushes over to me.

"Yeah," I say hoarsely, "food went down the wrong pipe."

"Ok, be careful," she says.

I finish eating my cereal, looking at the message as I do. This is when I notice that he loved the message that I sent, which causes my mind to wonder even more. I contemplate messaging him back but I decide against it and figure that I can explain the situation in person. Once Nzuri is out of the shower, I get in. Once I get out, I dry off and get dressed. I put on a black off the shoulder romper and some random black sandals.