Chapter 11: 7AM on Bridle Path

The sound of my phone ringing wakes me out of my deep sleep. I feel around the bed for it with my eyes still shut. I finally grab my phone and answer it.

"Hello," I sleepily say.

"Hey," I hear Melody's voice.

"Melody, why are you calling me before the sun is up?"

"You know my doctor's do their rounds and it wakes me up and I can't go back to sleep."

"Ok, so again, why am I up before the sun?"

"I'm bored and because you're my sister you're going to stay up with me."

"Girl," I suck my teeth in, "I'm going back to sleep."

"No. Please," Melody shouts before I can hang up, "don't you love your little sister?"

"First off, I'm only two minuets older than you, so it's not that much of a difference," I move around trying to get comfortable, "second, while I do love you, my love for sleep might be greater than my love for you."

The phone is silent for a few seconds before she speaks again "Just this one time, please for me?"

"Fine," I huff and throw the covers off of me, "but when I get there I pick the movies."

"But it's my turn to pick."

"I can always go back to sleep if you prefer to chose the movies."

"Fine. You can pick the movies. I'm bout to facetime you."

"Ok," I say, right before I get the facetime call.

I answer Melody's facetime call and we sit in silence just looking at each other. I then decide to get up from my bed, since I won't be getting any sleep anytime soon. I walk across the hall and go to the bathroom. I set my phone up on the hamper as I use the toilet. 

"I know damn well, your ass ain't shitting," Melody looks at me.

"Girl shut up," I say, "you woke my ass up remember. So yo ass is going to see whatever you see."

"You disgusting."

"Yo mama."

"Bitch that's your mama too."

"Whatever," I roll my eyes and finish using the bathroom.

I wash my hands and then turn on the water for the shower. I place my phone on the window sill and face it towards the shower. I undress and put my reusable shower cap on. I then get into the hot water.

"First I gotta see you on the toilet and now I got to see them saggy things you call titties," Melody's voice is heard over the shower.

"Better than the mosquitoes bites you got on your chest."

"You know what, I'm hanging up."

"You better not, after waking me up out of my sleep."

"Whatever," she sucks her teeth.

The bathroom is silent except for the sound of the running water. I continue to wash my body as Melody sits silently on the phone. I finish my shower and wrap my towel around my body and brush my teeth. I walk out of the bathroom to see my mom walking with a bag.

"Where are you going?" I eye her bag.

"Last time I checked, I'm the parent and your the child. Mind your business," 

"What's going on?" Melody's voice comes through the phone.

"Mama got a spend-the-night bag," I say.