Chapter 15: Gold Roses

"Sir I'm a bit nervous," I sing, "bout being here today."

"Still not real sure what I'm going to say," Nzuri sings.

We continue to sing 'Marry Your Daughter' by Brian McKnight Jr as we make our way to school. We reach the school just as the song finishes. Nzuri parks and we get out of the car. I notice that Axel's car is not in it's usual spot. I scan the parking lot and notice that it is not there. I take my phone out and send him a text. Nzuri and I walk into the school and head to our lockers. I look at my phone and there is no response from Axel.

"I'll see you at lunch," Nzuri says, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Ok, I'll see you then," I smile at her.

She walks in the direction of her class and I walk in the opposite direction towards mine. My mind begins to race and worry as the time passes and I still receive no response from Axel. As the lunch bell rings, I get the uneasy feeling that something is wrong with Axel. It's not like him to go this long without responding.

"What's wrong?" Nzuri says as we meet up outside of her classroom.

"I think something's wrong with Axel."

"What makes you say that?"

"His car isn't here today and he hasn't responded to my text. I texted him as soon as we got here."

"Maybe you'll see him at lunch."

"Ok, but why hasn't he responded?"

"Maybe his phone is off," she says, to which I give her a 'really' look, "ok. Maybe not that, but I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason why he hasn't texted you back yet."

"Yeah you're right," I try to push the worry away as we walk into the lunch room.

Nzuri and I walk to our regular table and sit down. Not even two minuets later, Javier and Darnell walk over and sit down at our table. Javier sits next to Nzuri and gives her a small kiss to her cheek which causes her to form a giddy smile. I give her a knowing smile and she softly kicks my leg from under the table. After a few minuets, I realize that Axel is not joining us which just makes me worry more.

"Hey guys," I say catching everyone's attention, "where's Axel? I haven't heard from him all day and now he's not here at lunch."

"Oh, umm," Darnell scratches the back of his neck.

"Axel probably won't be here for the next few days," Javier says.

"Why? Is everything ok with him?" I ask, worry written all over my face.

"It's not really our place to say," Darnell looks at me.

"Was it something I did?" I frown.

"NO!" Javier hurriedly yells. "It's just some personal stuff that I'm sure he will tell you about when he is ready."

"Ok," I say still very much worried about Axel.

Lunch continues but Axel still occupies my mind. As the school day goes on, I make up my mind to just go over to his house and see him. If he chooses not to see me, at least I tried. I walk to my locker and wait for Nzuri to tell her we can't hang out today.

"Hey, are you ready?" she walks up to me.

"Yeah," I nod my head, "and I know that we were supposed to hang out today, but something came up."

"That's fine, my mama actually called and asked me to pick Akari up from school and babysit him until she gets home. She's running a little late today."

"Ok," I say as we reach her car.

Nzuri makes the short trip to my house and pulls off after I make in inside the house. I put my bookbag in my room and look on phone for the bus that will bring me the closest to Axel's house. Regardless of which bus I take, it will be a small walk to make the rest of the way to his house. I finally map out my route and lock my house up as I make my way to the bus stop across the street from my house. After about five minuets, the bus arrives and I show my school ID and start my trip. I put my airpods in and sit near the back of the bus, hoping nobody tries to talk to me. Eventually, the bus gets to the terminal and I get off to switch to my second bus. Once, that bus comes, I do the same as I did on the previous bus. I finally reach the bus stop closest to Axel's house and make the half mile walk to his place. After about ten minuets, the beautiful mansion comes into my view. I hurriedly walk up to the house and ring the doorbell.