Chapter 16: Views

"Aurum Rose Tailor," Axel says breaking the comfortable silence that fell upon us "that was her name. She was such a happy little girl but you couldn't tell her anything. She was only four years old, but had the attitude of a teenage girl."

"I bet she loved having you for a brother," I say from my position beside him.

After we broke apart from our hug, we decided to lay down in his bed. Neither of us speaking, just enjoying each other's company while processing our own emotions. Axel finally broke the silence by talking more about his sister.

"She did. Her face lit up every time she saw me and vice versa. She was diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease. There's a one in four chance that she would get the disease and unfortunately, the odds weren't in her favor. That's why I turn my phone off for these few days. My phone has tones of pictures of her that are just so hard for me to look at during this time."

"Tell me more about her."

"Her first name means gold in Latin. That's what the tattoo on the back of my shoulder represents."

"How old were you when you got it?"

"I got it on my sixteenth birthday. My parents came with me and everything. The day I got it, I felt like I found a piece of me that was missing."

"Really?" I look at him, "Maybe I'll get a tattoo for my dad. I know that I'll never physically have him back, but something permanent that will remind me of him sounds like it will help me during the times I miss him the most."

"I think you should go for it," he looks at me, "where would you get it?"

"I don't know. Maybe my wrist," I stick my hand out so we both can examine my wrist, "or maybe behind my ear."

"I think both would be good places, just depends on what exactly you would want and how big it would be."

"I think I'm going to put some thought into it, I'm really considering getting one."

"You want to come somewhere with me?" Axel suddenly asks.

"Sure, where to?" I sit up.

"It's a surprise," he stands up.

He starts going through his draw, trying to find a shirt I'm assuming. I take this time to go use the adjoining bathroom. After washing my hands, I walk out to see a fully clothed Axel with a bag in his hand.

"Why do you have a bag?" I eye him curiously.

"You'll see in due time," he responds, "are you ready?"

"Yeah, just hoping you don't turn out to be some serial killer or worst," I walk out of his room.

"You're not funny," he says from behind me.

"I happen to think that I am hilarious."

We finally make it to the living room and I see Birdie entering the room. I give her a big hug and express my condolences. She hugs me back and Axel and I say our goodbyes before getting into his car.

"Play some music," Axel catches me by surprise.

"Are you sure? This is your car."

"I know, but I like your taste in music and I want to hear songs, I've never heard before."

"Ok," I say as I connect my phone to his bluetooth.

I go through my music library and click on 'For Me' by Vedo and Jacquees. The ride to whevere we are headed is just filled with the songs coming from the radio. After about an hour and a half, Axel pulls to a stop. I look out of the window and see that we are in front of a huge house. It's not as big as Axel's current house, but it can stilled be classified as a mansion.