Chapter 7: Diced Pineapples

"Go Norbit, go Norbit," Melody quotes the movie that is playing on her hospital tv.

The sound of laughter fills the room. I scoot closer to my sister in her tiny hospital bed. The sound of my phone ringing causes my focus to shift from the tv. I notice that it is Axel calling me.

"Turn the phone off," my mom says.

"Who's that calling you anyways?" Melody says.

"Probably her boyfriend," Nzuri says.

"You got a boyfriend?" Melody quickly turns her head in my direction, almost giving herself whiplash.

"No, he is just somebody I tutor, who is slowly becoming a friend."

  "Then why does he call you his, and I quote, 'my favorite girl.'" Nzuri says, deepening her voice.

"He only calls me that because he has been getting good grades since I became his tutor," I roll my eyes.

"Do you have a picture of him?" Melody asks.

"Let me go to his Instagram," I say, "here."

"Ohh, he's cute," Melody takes the phone and bumps shoulders with me.

"He's ok," I say.

"Now, you know damn well, he look good," Melody gives me the side eye.

"Fine, I'll admit it he's attractive, but we are just friends," I snatch my phone from her as it rings again.

"You better answer. We don't need my future brother-in-law getting upset," Melody laughs.

"Fuck you," I say.

"Aye, watch yo mouth," my mom finally says something.

"Sorry mama," I say.

"Now, visiting hours are almost over. But I have one more surprise for Melody," my mom says getting her phone out of her purse.

Just then, her phone begins to ring signaling a facetime call. My mom answers the phone and brings it over to us on the bed. On the phone screen is my older brother , Lydian.

"Oh my gosh, hey Lydian," Melody tears up.

"Hey little sis," he smiles.

"How's everything going?" I ask.

"You know, MRE's and camo," he says.

"Hey booger," Nzuri pops her head into view.

""Since when they let roaches in the hospital?" Lydian says, making us all laugh.

"That's why your hairline fucked up," Nzuri glares at him, as my mom slaps her head for cussing.

"Come on now that's too far," Lydian touches his hair, "how's everything?"

"Good, just missing you," Melody says.

"I wish I was there with you right now, but you keep on fighting," he says to her, "and you, Harmony, I'm proud of you. I heard that you're doing extremely well in all of your classes."

"Thank you," I say to him.

"And Zu-zu, even though you're a pest, I have seen some of your artwork and it is amazing."

"Thank you, that means alot. Thanks big bro," Nzuri says.

"I'm pretty sure there's no roach DNA in my blood," he says and she glares at him, "I'm just playing, little sis."

A voice from off screen can be heard talking to Lydian. Lydian nods his head and says 'Yes, sir'.

"You must have to go," Melody states the obvious.