Chapter 4: The Ride

"Girl Askari ass is dead as soon as I get home," Nzuri walks up to me as we head to lunch.

"What happened?" I laugh at the crazy antics of my best friend and her brother.

"This boy just sent me a text saying that he's amazed my head is so big seeing that there's nothing in it."

"He funny as hell," I bust out laughing.

"Shut up," she mean mugs me.

We enter the lunchroom and sit at our usual table. Nzuri pulls out two bottles of Dr. Pepper and hands me one.

"Thanks boo," I open the pop.

"You're-" Nzuri stops in the middle of her sentence.

"What's wrong?" I look at her noticing that she is glaring at someone behind me.

Before I can turn around and see who she is glaring at, I feel two presences on both sides of me. I look to my left and spot Javier. No wonder Nzuri was glaring behind me. Even as he is sitting next to me, she hasn't stopped glaring at him.

"What's her problem?" a voice that I know all too well whispers in my ear.

"Nothing that concerns you, Axel," I turn to face him, "Why are you two sitting here?"

"Because."

"That's not an answer."

"It is if I say it is."

"Haha, very funny," I glare at him.

"Oh come on," he puts his arm around my shoulders, "Can't a guy spend some time with his favorite girl?"

"And who may that be?" I ask, pinching his arm.

"Ow," he finally removes his arm, "why you of course. I got a 95 on my pre-cal homework because of you. Best $135 I've ever spent."

"Hold on, hold on," Nzuri says, finally glancing in our direction, "Did you just call Harmony your favorite girl?"

"That I did," he winks at me.

"What the fuck is going on here?" she looks at me.

"It's not like that," I laugh, "I'm tutoring him."

"And did I hear something about a certain amount of money?"

"Yes, he's paying me."

"Shit, do you need help in art class? Cuz for that amount I can definitely help you."

"Sorry, I don't take art," Axel laughs.

"Ain't that some bullshit," she folds her arms.

"It's nice to see you smiling," Javier finally speaks.

"Stop looking at me," Nzuri flips him off.

Javier just sits there and laughs. Soon the third part of their trio arrives. Darnell takes an empty seat next to Nzuri, which also happens to be in front of Javier.

"I brought some snacks," Darnell dumps a bag of food onto the table.

"It took you long enough," Axel reaches over and grabs two bags of flaming hot Cheetos.

"Hey, you try getting food out of my house with my mama. I'm just glad she didn't wake up and find me home. My ass would have been grass," Darnell grabs a pack of Grandma cookies.

"Yeah, your mom is scary," Javier shutters.

"Do you want some?" Axel offers me some starburst.

"Sure," I smile.