Chapter 3: 8 Out of 10

"So what subjects do you need help with?" I ask Axel as we walk into the library of his home. Or should I say mansion.

I have never personally seen a house this big. When we first pulled up I thought that it was a hotel from how big it was. Now I see why he drives a Chevy Corvette.

"What don't I need help in," he sits down at a table.

"Ok," I take a seat next to him, "what's your hardest subject?"

"Pre-Calculus."

"Ok, let's start with that," I pull out a notebook and pencil.

He reaches into his bookbag and pulls out his Pre-Calculus book. He takes me to the current chapter that they are working on. He also pulls out his worksheet with his homework on it. I begin to explain the material to him. I start off showing him how to do the problems and then I let him try and do them.

"Man, I can't do this shit," he angrily throws his pencil on the table.

"Hey," I look in his eyes, "you can do this. I know it's hard but you can't give up. Here look at how I do it."

He turns his eyes toward my paper and watches as I slowly walk him through the steps. After each step, I check and make sure that he is understanding what I am doing. After doing this for another problem, I let him do the third problem.

"Ok, I think I got it."

"Let me see," I scoot closer to him.

"Here," he pushes his notebook into my direction.

I carefully look over his answer, "It's correct."

"Really?"

"Yeah, now do three more problems and if you get those right we can move on to another subject."

"OK," he begins working on the next problem.

For the next three hours, we go over the subjects in which he is having trouble in. As the time gets closer to five, we decide to call it a day.

"You seem to be getting the hang of some of the stuff. I'm sure that by the end of this month you will have everything down packed," I say grabbing my bookbag.

"Thank you for the help. I have to go get your money from my room real quick."

"Ok, I'll be by the front door."

Axel walks off, heading upstairs, leaving me alone by the front doors. I stand there just admiring the intricate opening that shows a spiral staircase and marble floors. Soon the door behind me opens, revealing a beautiful blond woman. She is wearing a white pants suit and nude heels.

"Who are you?" she asks.

"Oh, I'm Harmony," I outstretch my hand.

"Hello," she shakes my hand, "I take it your a friend of my sons." She puts air quotes around the word friend, her southern accent coming trough.

"No," I give her a stank face, "I'm his tutor."

"Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. I just assumed. I jump to conclusions like a bull frog jumps on a lily pad," she apologizes.

"I take it he has a lot of girls coming in and out then?"

"What can I say he likes to have himself some fun," she laughs, "But I am truly sorry. I had no right to assume something like that about you."

"I mean, I get it. I would have thought the same if I walked in and saw some random girl."

"I just feel so terrible, is there anyway I can make it up to you?"

"It's ok, really. Your apology was more than enough."

Axel just then comes walking down the stairs. In his hand he is carrying money. Once he reaches us, he hands me the money and I begin to count it out. After making sure that I have the correct amount, I place the money in my front pants pocket.

"So you really ain't going to show yo mama some love?" his mother says from beside me.

"Hey mom," Axel says to her.

"Hey june bug."

"Mom!" Axel looks at her with wide eyes.

"What? Now that a pretty girl's around, I can't call you june bug?"

"Mom!" Axel begins to turn red.

"Whatever," she kisses her teeth.

"I'm going to drop Harmony off, I'll be back right after," Axel says.

"Ok, I'll see you then. Nice meeting you Harmony."

"Nice meeting you too Mrs. Tailor."

"Oh please, call me Birdie. Mrs. Tailor is my mother-in-laws name. The hateful bitch."

"Ok, bye," Axel grabs my hand and pulls me out of the door.

I can't help but let my laughs escape as we walk towards his car. He unlocks his door and finally lets my hand go. I get into his car still laughing.

"Your mom," I say, laughing, "is funny."

"Whatever, I'm just surprised you didn't want to add another bruise to your collection back there."

"What do you mean?"

"When I grabbed your hand, I was expecting you to hit me or something"

"You can thank your mom for that, I was too lost in laughter to care."

"Well, thank you mom," he says, causing me to laugh.

The rest of the car ride to my house is spent in silence. Getting lost in my thoughts, it takes me a minute to realize that Axel is calling out to me.

"Why did you stop?" I say, seeing that we are in the parking lot of school.

"I don't exactly know where you stay. I just know that it's within walking distance of the school because you walked that one day."

"Oh, sorry. I forgot I never gave you my address."

I tell him the directions to my house and he begins the short drive there. Pulling into the driveway, you can immediately tell the difference between my one story home and his mansion. I grab my bookbag and get out of the car.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Axel puts his head out of the window.

"Umm, no you wont. Tomorrow's Wednesday. I don't tutor you."

"I know, but, we made a deal, where going to do some normal high school shit."

"Oh right, ok," I unlock my front door and open it.

"Bye Harmony."

"Bye june bug," I hurry and shut my door before he can say anything else.