Chapter 14: Get It Together

"Harmony," I hear a voice in my ear, accompanied by small shakes.

"Yes," I answer, with my eyes closed.

"Come lock the door, I'm about to go home," I finally register that the voice belongs to Axel.

I open my eyes and see him near my face. He turns around and puts his shirt back on, but not before I catch a glimpse of a tattoo on the back of his right shoulder. I start to ask him about it, but decide that he will tell me about it whenever he's ready. He puts on his shoes and grabs his keys before we walk out of my room.

"Bye," I give him a small hug, "text me when you make it home."

"I will," he hugs me back and kisses the top of my head.

He walks out of my house and I wait until he is out of my driveway before I close and lock the door. I walk back to my room, and despite being dead tired, I stay up until I get a text from him saying that he is OK. Knowing that he made it home safely, puts my mind at ease and I fall back into a peaceful sleep.

"I know yo ass ain't still sleep," a voice interrupts the dream that I am having, "Harmony, wake up."

"What," I grumble, still half asleep, "do you even know what time in the morning it is?"

"Bitch, it's noon," Nzuri's voice finally becomes distinctive.

I open my eyes and see her standing over me with her left hand on  her hip. I grab my phone and look at the time. The time on my phone says 12:13. Groaning, I roll back over and get out of my bed.

"You're annoying," I say as I walk to the bathroom.

"What time is my mama coming back?" 

"I don't know, call her," I shout over the running water as I wash my hands.

I finish washing my hands and grab my toothpaste and toothbrush. As I brush my teeth, I turn on the shower water to let it get warm. I finish brushing my teeth and undress. I grab my reusable shower cap and place my bonnet covered head inside. I grab a wash rag and hop into the shower and let the hot water hit every inch of my body.

"Mama wants to talk to you," I hear Nzuri walk into the bathroom.

"Place the phone on the windowsill," I say as the hot water beats down my back.

"Hello?" my mother's voice comes through the phone.

"Yeah."

"I'm going to be back around four today so I'll be able to cook. You don't have to worry about it."

"Ok."

"Also, be ready by the time I get home, your coming grocery shopping with me. That goes for you too Nzuri."

"Ok," Nzuri responds.

"Alright, I'll see you when you get home. I love you."

"I love you too."

"I know you love me more mama," Nzuri's annoying ass says.

I grab my shampoo bottle and open the shower curtain. I throw the bottle straight at he back and laugh as she screams.

"Ima beat your ass if you keep on," I say.

"Don't be mad at me cuz your mama loves me more."

"Bitch," I go to throw my conditioner at her, but she moves out of the way just in time.

"Hoe, I will flush the toilet on your ass stop playing."

"Whatever," I suck my teeth.

"I just want y'all both to know, I'm whopping both of y'all asses for cussing," my mama's voice comes through the phone, "love y'all see y'all soon."