Officer Mikey

Officer Mikey

"Sorry I'm late Ms Grotke." Said Dede as she ran into the classroom just after the bell rang.

"I'll let it slide this time Dede seeing as you're not that late, but don't let it happen again." Said Ms Grotke as Dede went to her seat.

"The few, the proud, the chosen." Said Brad the leader of the safety rangers as he and a few others were giving a presentation. "We are the safety rangers of the third street school, we're looking for a few good kids."

"I'm looking for a few good spitballs." Spinelli whispered to Vince.

"Man, what I'd give to have a galactic mission call now." Said Dede under her breath, bored outta her mind.

"The question is, are any of you up for the challenge." Brad pointed at the kids in the class, making Spinelli yawn, the only one that seemed interested in what Brad was saying was Mikey. "To wear the orange belt of honor, to hold high the sacred sign of safety and finally to live by the ancient bio of the safety rangers." Brad snapped his fingers and one of the kids behind him pressed play on a cassette player. "I'd like to conclude with a moving slide presentation of last year's safety rangers graduation, can someone get the lights?"

"I will." Mikey jumped up to do just that, but in his haste of excitement he ended up tripping over his desk, sending the projector flying threw the head of a safety rangers cardboard cut out, effectively decapitating it, marking all the kids in the class laugh. "Oops sorry."

"Imbecile." Said Brad looking down at Mikey.

————————————————————————

"1 BLT on Peter going once, going twice and sold to the kid with braces for a portion of his pie (don't think that's what she said but I can't really hear what she say?)." Said Spinelli as she was doing a lunch auction at recess, there were quite a few students around Spinelli wanting in on it, however Mikey was sitting a bit away looking at the safety rangers as the marched across the playground.

"Mikey." Said TJ standing next to Mikey but Mikey didn't even seem to hear him.

"Mikey." Dede repeated a little louder and that seemed to get his attention.

"You okay man, there was a double chocolate brownie up for trade and you didn't even put in a bid."

"Oh well, it's just a brownie." Signed Mikey.

"Just a brownie." Repeated Spinelli, Vince, Gretchen and Gus.

"98.6, seems normal." Said Gretchen as she put her hand onto Mikey's forehead before grabbing his wrist. "Pulse is good."

"I'm okay, it's just that ever since captain Brad came to our class this morning all I can think about is them." Mikey said, looking over at the safety rangers, who was still marching about.

"You mean how dumb they look in those goofy uniforms?" Asked Spinelli.

"No. I mean how much I wanna wear one of those goofy uniforms." Said Mikey.

"You mean you wanna be a safety ranger?" Asked Vince. "Why?"

"Because if I was a safety ranger everything would be different."

"How?" Asked Dede. "How would being a safety ranger change anything?"

"Because I wouldn't just be mikey, I would be Mikey the safety ranger. I'd wear the uniform of all the great safety rangers who came before me, I'd learn the secret hand signs, I'd be the last line of defence between humanity and the evils of technology. Children everywhere would love and adore me, and animals too. It's my dream guys, to protect and serve, to be respected by all mankind. But who am I kidding, it's just a fantasy, they'd never take me."