Great state fair

Great state fair

"This is going to be amazing!" Dede cheers, bouncing in her spot a little, as all the kids of third street school were all patiently waiting outside to get into the buses for their field trip to the state fair.

"Ah, the Great State Fair. Is there anything fairer?" Mikey asked in his poetic way.

"Anybody needs me, you can find me at the game booths kicking some carny keister." Says Vince as his competitive side comes out.

"I'm eating all the junk food I can lay my hands on, then hitting the thrill rides." Was TJs plan.

"Well, I can't wait to see Lardantuon." Says Gus.

"Lardantu-what?" Asked Paloma.

"Lardantuon. The biggest pig in the whole wide world, and he's right here in our own state fair."

"Get out!" Spinelli says not believing him.

"Yeah, Gus, there's got to be more than a dozen state fairs, And the world's biggest pig happened to pick ours?" TJ said also not believing it.

"It's true." Gus argues back. "I saw it in the State Fair Newsletter and on "State Fair TV" and in the schedule of events that came with this ultra-cool State Fair t-shirt." Gus shows everyone all that he had  as proof.

"Wow, Gus, I didn't know the State Fair
was such a big deal to you." Dede said to her friend.

"Yeah, well, with my family moving around all the time, I never had a chance to go to any state fair."

"Never?"

"Nope. I thought about it plenty of times. The rides, the exhibits, the cotton candy... They all seemed like a dream to me, a dream that would never come true."

"That is so sad." Mikey almost cries.

"But today that's all going to change. I'm finally going to the Great State Fair! With you guys! This is going to be the best day ever!" As Gus exclaimed this all eight of them cheered along with him, high fiving each other.

"Board the bus in an orderly and harmonic fashion, and please have your signed permission slips ready." Miss Grotke called out as kids were boarding the bus, handing her their permission slips as they went.

"Ah, the good ol' 'get out of class free' card." Spinelli said, taking hers out of her jacket pocket.

"This is one note from school I'm happy to have my parents sign." TJ says doing the same thing.

"Oh, no. Oh no. Oh, no!" Gus cries as he searches his pockets, not finding his permission slip.

"Don't tell me you forgot your permission slip, Gus." Asked Spinelli as they all looked at him.

"I had it this morning. My dad signed it at breakfast, and then he must've put it in his pocket by mistake."

"Maybe your father could bring it from his office." Suggested Mikey.

"He's not at the office. He's out with the whole division having war games, and mom's out looking at drapes."

"Not to worry, Gus. Miss Grotke will understand." TJ said as he walked up to her.

"Thank you, Phil. Watch your step, Judy." Miss Grotke said to the last two students before the gang was to enter the bus.

"Miss Grotke, we have a problem." Dede said, getting her attention.

"Gus forgot his permission slip." Paloma finished.

"Oh my, that is a problem. Without a permission slip, Gus, you can't go. It's school policy." Miss Grotke informs.